BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Paul_NYS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Everyone

I would like to collapse the below records (screenshot) that have the same entity_id  into one record and keep all the column values, where one is populated.

Is there a fairly straight forward way of doing this?

Paul

collapserecords.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi Paul,

Try this:

proc summary data=have nway;
class entity_id;
var SubPh:;
output out=want(drop=_:) max=;
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi Paul,

Try this:

proc summary data=have nway;
class entity_id;
var SubPh:;
output out=want(drop=_:) max=;
run;
Paul_NYS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot Freelance! That did it.

I have not used Proc Summary before. What do the below aspects of it do?

(drop=_:) max=

Paul

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Glad to read that it worked for you.

Maybe you have used (or heard of) PROC MEANS? It's almost the same, but writes to the output window by default.

The option MAX= of the OUTPUT statement says that

1. for each analysis variable specified in the VAR statement* the maximum is the summary statistic to be computed.
  2. The names of the variables in the output dataset (here: WANT) containing the summary statistics shall be the names of the corresponding analysis variables (i.e., the maximum of SubPh1 shall be stored in a variable SubPh1, etc.). Otherwise, the new names would need to be listed after "MAX=".

By default, the output dataset contains variables _TYPE_ and _FREQ_ containing additional information about the summary: In your example, _TYPE_=1 for all observations, hence not very interesting, _FREQ_ = number of observations summarized, i.e. 3 for entity_id=165771, 5 for entity_id=230674, ... Assuming that you don't need these variables, I dropped them. More precisely: I dropped all variables whose names start with an underscore.

* Here, the VAR statement contains the list of all variables in dataset HAVE whose names start with "SubPh" (assuming that these are exactly your intended analysis variables).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation