BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rajeshalwayswel
Pyrite | Level 9

Can some one try it in arrays I have done in proc transpose method..

data have;
input id name$ gtype$ grade;
cards;
10 aa e 70
10 aa f 80
10 aa g 90
10 aa h 70
10 aa i 60
10 bb g 90
10 bb h 70
10 bb i 60
;
run;

proc transpose data=want out=want;

by id name;

var grade;

id gtype;

run;

Desired Output:

transpose the above data by using arrays

/*/*output*/*;
id name e f g h i
10 aa 70 80 90 70 60
10 bb . . 90 70 60

7 REPLIES 7
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

I hope this link can help both of us:

Paper 082-2013 Sharpening Your Skills in Reshaping data: PROC TRANSPOSE vs. Array Processing

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/082-2013.pdf

art297
Opal | Level 21

For what it's worth, I totally disagree with Art Li's conclusion. In my experience, datasetp array processing is almost ALWAYS faster than proc transpose.

That's why I published a macro a couple of years ago that accomplishes the task that way. Take a look at: http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/A_Better_Way_to_Flip_(Transpose)_a_SAS_Dataset

If you download and run that macro, and then run:

data have;
  input name$ gtype$ grade;
  do id=1 to 500000;
    output;
  end;
  cards;
aa e 70
aa f 80
aa g 90
aa h 70
aa i 60
bb g 90
bb h 70
bb i 60
;
run;

proc sort data=have;
  by id name;
run;

proc transpose data=have out=want;
by id name;
var grade;
id gtype;
run;

%transpose(data=have, out=want2, by=id name, var=grade, id=gtype);

you'll see why I question his conclusion. The disparity increases when one is expanding a wide file (2 or more variables) to be even wider.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Reeza
Super User

>For what it's worth, I totally disagree with Art Li's conclusion. In my experience, datasetp array processing is almost ALWAYS faster than proc transpose.

Writing a PROC TRANSPOSE is much faster than writing a data step array method. Plus its more dynamic and handles the addition/change of fields more easily. So if you'll get back those few minutes in processing time it's worth the array, but usually I find that's not the case.  The macro does make that a non-issue though. 

art297
Opal | Level 21

Not only does the macro approach to using arrays make the extra coding a non issue, when one is transposing a combination of character and numeric variables, or going from wide to wider, the macro approach still only requires a single line of code, while the coding for proc transpose creates a significant issue.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@art297   Hi Art, Thank you for the great insight. I have learned something that I wasn't sure about despite having a copy of your %transpose macro. The macro approach generally seems rather "compiler intensive" while the macro processor does so much work, the other SAS elements sleep in the input stack waiting in queue to go to the compiler. Would there be a potential overhead more than proc transpose? Am i making sense or being silly? Sorry if the latter is the case.

I'm sure if this is from you and Xia Keshan, I suppose the solution must be immaculate. I'm just curious.

Also an idea, why not incorporate the macro as an autocall macro as a part of the other list of autocall macros like %cmpress etc.

Regards,

Naveen Srinivasan

art297
Opal | Level 21

It takes less time to run (besides, for complex transpositions, much, much less time to code), so I can't see how it could be more compiler intensive. It take less cpu and processing time than running proc transpose.

It's not intended as a proc transpose replacement, as there are still things one can do with proc transpose that the macro wasn't intended to accomplish.

As for making it an autocall macro .. that is totally up to the user since any macro can be compiled and stored that way. Take a look at: http://analytics.ncsu.edu/sesug/2008/SBC-126.pdf 

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation