BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nishant_saxena
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I am stucked here:

My code is:

proc means data=final_file_distance sum;
class store_postcode;
var retail_price;
output out=rs2;
run;

Output is attached in attachment.

What /I want is :

(1) to calculate overall sum of " sum" column as total_sale

(2) PErcentage of sale for every StorePostcode   (i.e sum/total_sale)% for individual StorePostcode

output1.PNG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Sorry, I don't open Excel files. It is better to post your data in a DATA step program that anyone can read as a text file.

In my example, SASHELP.SHOES has a variable called SALES, in your example, you have a variable called RETAIL_PRICE.

Your PROC MEANS code is giving your results the SUM or RETAIL_PRICE grouped by the class variable STORE_POSTCODE.

In my examples, SALES is the equivalent of your variable RETAIL_PRICE and REGION is the equivalent of STORE_POSTCODE. In SASHELP.SHOES there are multiple sales for every REGION, so both REPORT and TABULATE are summarizing and calculating percent. Notice in the screen shot below (still using SASHELP.SHOES) how the sum of SALES for each region is the same whether you use PROC MEANS, PROC REPORT or PROC TABULATE. Then notice how the grand total of the SALES figure is the same. Notice how the percents calculate by REPORT and TABULATE are the same.

PROC MEANS will provide you with the overall GRAND TOTAL for your RETAIL_PRICE variable, but not in the most usable way possible. READ in the documentation about the use of the _TYPE_ automatic variable. Personally, I find using TABULATE or REPORT much easier than PROC MEANS for sums and percents.

cynthia

revised_to_show_sum.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

You do not need to run PROC MEANS first. Either PROC TABULATE or PROC REPORT would give you the percentages you want. You showed the output from PROC MEANS, not your desired output. And, you did not post the input data, but take a look at SASHELP.SHOES -- that has regions and sales. So either of these procedures would work: pct_tab_report.png

For what you want to do, either of these procedures can summarize, like PROC MEANS and then calculate the percentage without making an extra pass through the data.

cynthia

Nishant_saxena
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am not having anything in my input data which tells me about sum I calculated it by proc measn

The solution you provided contains sales data but in my data I dont have it (rather I have to calculate it)

i am attaching input file in the attachment

PLEASE IGNORE MISSING VALUES

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Sorry, I don't open Excel files. It is better to post your data in a DATA step program that anyone can read as a text file.

In my example, SASHELP.SHOES has a variable called SALES, in your example, you have a variable called RETAIL_PRICE.

Your PROC MEANS code is giving your results the SUM or RETAIL_PRICE grouped by the class variable STORE_POSTCODE.

In my examples, SALES is the equivalent of your variable RETAIL_PRICE and REGION is the equivalent of STORE_POSTCODE. In SASHELP.SHOES there are multiple sales for every REGION, so both REPORT and TABULATE are summarizing and calculating percent. Notice in the screen shot below (still using SASHELP.SHOES) how the sum of SALES for each region is the same whether you use PROC MEANS, PROC REPORT or PROC TABULATE. Then notice how the grand total of the SALES figure is the same. Notice how the percents calculate by REPORT and TABULATE are the same.

PROC MEANS will provide you with the overall GRAND TOTAL for your RETAIL_PRICE variable, but not in the most usable way possible. READ in the documentation about the use of the _TYPE_ automatic variable. Personally, I find using TABULATE or REPORT much easier than PROC MEANS for sums and percents.

cynthia

revised_to_show_sum.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation