BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ,

I am using CNTLIN formats

I have a couple of questions regarding.

can you explain why the provider=label???

if I have several other variables X, Y, Z in the KEEP which variable of those will get the "=label"????? is there a preference ?

secondly what does that =label do????

Thanks

data test1(rename=(providerkey=start provider=label));

set dim_provider(keep=providerkey provider /*X Y Z*/);

fmtname='attprovkey';

run;

proc format cntlin=test1;run;

data both;

set hsp_acct_2;

attending_provider=put(providerattendingkey, attprovkey.);

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I'm not sure what you are attempting in the long run.

There may be a case of mistaken identity. For CNTLIN data sets Label is an expected Variable. In many other places Label is the Text associated with a variable name. Yes any variable can have a label associeated. But the Variable named Label, which is a character variable, is what holds the text associeated with the values.

Did you create the CNTLout data set and look at it?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

PROC Format requires a variable named LABEL to describe the display associated with the values in the Start and End. Variables that are not expected by Proc Format are ignored.

A better way to understand what is required may be to make a short custom format and use the CNTLOUT option to create a data set that describes the format. Then you will see a bit more clearly what the variables associated with a CNTLIN data set do.

robertrao
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I was thinking I could use label on any of the variables on the Keep statement!!!!

Please correct?

Thanks

ballardw
Super User

I'm not sure what you are attempting in the long run.

There may be a case of mistaken identity. For CNTLIN data sets Label is an expected Variable. In many other places Label is the Text associated with a variable name. Yes any variable can have a label associeated. But the Variable named Label, which is a character variable, is what holds the text associeated with the values.

Did you create the CNTLout data set and look at it?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Looking at an example in the SAS documentation should help. Also try running the example program and examining the CNTLIN dataset.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/proc/65145/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1e19y6lrektafn1kj6nb...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation