Help using Base SAS procedures

Automatic disconnection from WRDS every two hours using SAS 9.4

Occasional Contributor

Automatic disconnection from WRDS every two hours using SAS 9.4

I'm using SAS 9.4 to run SAS remotely on the Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) server.  Ever since I've moved to my new institution, I find my connection to the remote server disconnects automatically after two hours without fail.  My internal IT guy doesn't seem to know what the problem is.  It's apparently something other users at this institution experience as well, though I've never encountered it elsewhere.  Any ideas as to what may be going on?

Super User

Re: Automatic disconnection from WRDS every two hours using SAS 9.4

Have a look at a very similar problem I've responded to:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/How-Where-do-I-set-the-keepalive-parame...

I've listed the options available to fix this. In your case it is probably a client-side TCP/IP network problem. Using a PC stay-alive utility could be the easiest way to fix this assuming you are using local PC SAS to connect to WRDS and not remote server SAS.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response.  So my timeout issue occurs while SAS is running in the background and I'm still actively working on the computer, so I know the computer isn't going to sleep.  Can the PC stay-alive utility still solve the problem in this case?

Super User

The stay-alive utility sends data packets to the SAS server you are connected to at regular intervals to stop your connection dropping through inactivity. There is no guarantee it will fix your problem but is certainly worth trying.

It is possible that WRDS has a built-in timeout of 2 hours. You would need to check with them about that. 

Occasional Contributor

WRDS indicates they don't have a 2-hour cutoff, so it's an issue on my institution's end.  I've passed your suggestion on to my institution's IT people, and I will post the outcome when I learn it.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation