BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rachard11
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm using SAS 9.4 to run SAS remotely on the Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) server.  Ever since I've moved to my new institution, I find my connection to the remote server disconnects automatically after two hours without fail.  My internal IT guy doesn't seem to know what the problem is.  It's apparently something other users at this institution experience as well, though I've never encountered it elsewhere.  Any ideas as to what may be going on?

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have a look at a very similar problem I've responded to:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/How-Where-do-I-set-the-keepalive-parame...

I've listed the options available to fix this. In your case it is probably a client-side TCP/IP network problem. Using a PC stay-alive utility could be the easiest way to fix this assuming you are using local PC SAS to connect to WRDS and not remote server SAS.

rachard11
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your response.  So my timeout issue occurs while SAS is running in the background and I'm still actively working on the computer, so I know the computer isn't going to sleep.  Can the PC stay-alive utility still solve the problem in this case?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

The stay-alive utility sends data packets to the SAS server you are connected to at regular intervals to stop your connection dropping through inactivity. There is no guarantee it will fix your problem but is certainly worth trying.

It is possible that WRDS has a built-in timeout of 2 hours. You would need to check with them about that. 

rachard11
Fluorite | Level 6

WRDS indicates they don't have a 2-hour cutoff, so it's an issue on my institution's end.  I've passed your suggestion on to my institution's IT people, and I will post the outcome when I learn it.

mrlcpa
Calcite | Level 5

I am experiencing this same problem of a cut off after 2 hours, even when computer is active. How was this resolved?

rachard11
Fluorite | Level 6
I tried a lot of different solutions with my tech support guy and never
resolved it. So I always type a proc upload or proc download into my code
at necessary intervals to keep the connection alive, and code around it.
mkeintz
PROC Star

WRDS never, during my employment there, disconnected a sas/connect client while it waited on a long process running on the sas/connect server.  Some node/router at the client institution or between the client and WRDS decided your session has been abandoned and should be disconnected.

A possible workaround:  If you are running a multi-step program all contained in a single rsubmit/endrsubmit block you can reduce the risk of disconnect.  Just make several such blocks, each containing one complete data or proc step.   All these blocks can be sent together to the server, so you don't have to babysit the client.  The benefit is that the server will send notes, etc. to the client-side log and client-side listing at shorter intervals, signaling that the connection has not been abandoned.

Also make sure your local tech support is checking the treatment of port 4016.  That's the port the sas/connect server on WRDS uses.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation