Help using Base SAS procedures

Appending unequal table

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Appending unequal table

Hi,

I have three unequal tables (unequal number of column and rows) and hope to create a fourth table from appending these three unequal table. The fourth table will also have an added column, having binary number (0 or 1) based on this relationship; 1 when there is a user_id common to the three tables, 1 for all user_id in the action table and 0 for all user_id in impression and/or click not in action table.

I have attached a simple excel sheet containing all the three table and the expected output from the data manipulation process. I have been on this for over 72 hours and just couldn't figure out what i need to do.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-18-2011 11:34 AM
PROC Star

Appending unequal table

One to many isn't a problem.  Many to many is most easily accomplished with proc sql.  Take a look at: http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts705.pdf and the other references that article provides.

View solution in original post

All Replies
PROC Star

Appending unequal table

If you don't have multiple entries in more than one of the tables, and you sort your 3 files by user_ID and Advertiser_ID, then you might be able to achieve what you want with something like:

data want;

merge impression (in=a) click(in=b) action(in=c);

by User_ID Advertiser_ID;

if c then common=1;

else common=0;

if missing(IP) then IP=0;

run;

Art

Occasional Contributor

Appending unequal table

Hello Art,

That was brilliant, many thanks for your response. Just a quick question, what will you suggest if there are multiple entries in one of the tables.

e.g

the user id in this form

Solution
‎07-18-2011 11:34 AM
PROC Star

Appending unequal table

One to many isn't a problem.  Many to many is most easily accomplished with proc sql.  Take a look at: http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts705.pdf and the other references that article provides.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation