Help using Base SAS procedures

Another Proc_Transpose Question

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Another Proc_Transpose Question

I am new to SAS and my skills are still abysmal at best. I am trying to work my way through Proc Transpose and I see frequent postings on it here in the forum. I was hoping someone could help walk me through my task so I better understand the Proc Transpose procedure. My data set that I am working with is as shown below.

Untitled.jpg

Just observing the highlighted record, I am trying to transpose the Month_YY columns by each Key variable. The 0's represent the payment for each month of that key and I want the months in a single column with each paymnet in the next column, all while keeping the rest of the record constant. I have an example below of what I am trying to achieve.

Capture.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-23-2013 04:19 PM
Super User
Super User

Re: Another Proc_Transpose Question

proc transpose ;

by facevalue proceeds poolstart key portfpool trantype ;

run;

The variable _NAME_ will have the former variable names.

The variable COL1 will have the values.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Assuming your data is sorted I'd probably go with a datastep. The link below is a good instruction. If you really want proc transpose that link is further below.

SAS Learning Module: Reshaping wide to long using a data step

You can use the vname function to capture the name of the array variable.

eg.

do i = 1 to dim(month_vars);

value=month_vars(i);

month=vname(month_vars(i));

output;

end;

SAS Learning Module: How to reshape data wide to long using proc transpose

The trick is to keep all the variables you want in your BY statement.

Occasional Contributor

The data I have in my first example is already from a proc import of a csv file spit out form another sas job, so that is the format and structure I have to work with. I read that document and cannot get it to apply correctly to what I am working on. I was hoping someone could supply me some code to help me achieve my goal. I would be able to understand what it is doing much better I had an example of the code that provided my results.

Solution
‎08-23-2013 04:19 PM
Super User
Super User

proc transpose ;

by facevalue proceeds poolstart key portfpool trantype ;

run;

The variable _NAME_ will have the former variable names.

The variable COL1 will have the values.

Respected Advisor

Once you get the data transposed as per Tom's suggestion you will want to read the _NAME_ field using a date informat so you can convert the month and year to SASDate.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tom, adding all my variables to be sorted and in the order I need them was the piece I was missing in all of this. I was only using a single variable to sort by which was throwing all my data off.

Super User

Just a side piece of advice.  There are many more important areas to start learning SAS than PROC TRANSPOSE.  Just to name a few, study these statements within a DATA step (what they do, when they can be used):

RETAIN

BY

value + amount;

LENGTH

The list could be longer, but each of these will likely prove more valuable to you than learning PROC TRANSPOSE.

Good luck.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation