BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Dear All,

First of all I need to thank everyone here whos posts I've used to help me learn more about SAS. At the moment I am building some applications to help me create tables out of a dataset. However, a problem with proc transpose arose on which I need your help.

Let's say that I've made this crossed table (results over 2 questions), where there is no-one who awnsered question 1 with a 2 AND question 2 with a 2. I get this table:

Q1 Q2 freq
1 1 2
1 2 2
1 3 3
2 1 2
2 3 1
3 1 2
3 2 2
3 3 3

Using:

proc transpose data = ... out = ... prefix = vari;
BY Q1;
var freq;
run;

I get this table:

Q2 vari1 vari2 vari3
1 2 2 3
2 2 1 .
3 2 2 3

Where the "." should actually be on (Q2 = 2, vari2); instead the 1 from (Q2=2,vari3) is placed there.

How can I overcome this problem? Is there a simple command for it? Or should I go back to the proc freq I used to create the first table and solve the problem there?

Any help would be welcome! Have a nice day
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Please review your own code. The SAS PROC PRINT output you show in your post could not have been generated by the PROC TRANSPOSE code that you provided. There would not be a Q2 variable output by TRANSPOSE, unless you supply that variable in the BY statement list. You asking for assistance and guidance while not truly revealing the code and results that relate to one another.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
You are right, the by statement had Q2 instead of Q1.

proc transpose data = ... out = ... prefix = vari;
BY Q2;
var freq;
run;

is my correct code. I was simplifying the names of the variables before posting it here, and I made an error.
Olivier
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi Vince.
I think that you are lacking an ID statement in your Transpose procedure. This will allow SAS to connect newly created variables to Q2 values, instead of just re-arranging values by Q1 values as it currently does.
Could you try this code and tell us if this is what you are looking for ?
(I assumed that the output table you posted add the Q1 variable as the first column, and not "Q2", as Scott pointed out.)
[pre]
DATA test ;
INPUT Q1 Q2 freq ;
CARDS ;
1 1 2
1 2 2
1 3 3
2 1 2
2 3 1
3 1 2
3 2 2
3 3 3
;
RUN ;
PROC TRANSPOSE DATA = test OUT = test2 ;
VAR freq ;
BY q1 ;
ID q2 ;
RUN ;
[/pre]
Regards
Olivier
deleted_user
Not applicable
Oliver,

That did the trick, thank you! And Scott, I will be more carefull with my next post, thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation