BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jamie
Calcite | Level 5

Morning all,

Is there a way to limit the number of observations a user can return from a SQL Server table? Perhaps a setting SMC or an option in one of the config files?

We are running SAS 9.2 on linux.

Thanks in advance

Jamie

4 REPLIES 4
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Maybe this article could be of your interest:

36112 - Managing large SAS® data sets that exceed the maximum number of observations

I don't know if your users are making use of Enterprise Guide or SAS Base. My first guess would go to the first option.

In Enterprise Guide (I am not sure in 9.2 right now) in Tool-Options-Data-Performance, you should be able to set the number of rows to display.

In any code, you can also make use of the OBS paramenter: SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition and

Use the OBS and FIRSTOBS Options to Save Time While Testing - sasCommunity

If there is any specific for SQL Server, sorry, I don;t know. But if any, you should be able to include in the library definition with: library-properties-Options-Advanced Options- Other options.

Jamie
Calcite | Level 5

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply. What i'm looking to do is restrict the users, so if someone had to code, say:

data test;

set mylib.data(obs=500000);

run;

then have some sort of configuration or setting to over-ride that to 10,000 for example.

Thanks,

Jamie

Ksharp
Super User

Not sure if this could work. Try these two ways.(read 10 records one time)

libname x sqlsrv .........  readbuff=10;

proc sql inobs=10;

Xia Keshan

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since the OBS= option(s) can be set anywhere in the SAS program, they are no valid tool for reliably keeping users from overloading your SQL server with big requests (I assume this is what you want).

Check if it is possible to set such a limit for certain users in the SQL server. For SAS I don't see one.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation