BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Hornet1937
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I have limited space on my HDD and am trying to clear up some files. I see that SAS is occupying a significant portion ( >25%) of my available resources (~100gb). C:\SaS Software Depot is 17.3 gb large. C:\Program Files\ SASHome has consumed 8.5 gigs. There are others. In both there are many .zip s and .sas7bdat data sets that are taking up a lot of space. I use SAS regularily enough that I need full functionality. But it seams like it is taking up quite a bit more space than one would expect. Any advice on where to focus my clean-up efforts?

Drew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Once you are done with installing, the depot should no longer be needed. But you should clearly contemplate adding disk space. In an age of cheap TB disks that should not be a big problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Once you are done with installing, the depot should no longer be needed. But you should clearly contemplate adding disk space. In an age of cheap TB disks that should not be a big problem.

Hornet1937
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, I'll clear that out.

Reeza
Super User

+1 to delete depot.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Your installation is about 25Gb (depot/program files) total. Not something to worry about unless you have a very old computer.

-> In that case upgrade and invest in dasd/sdd storage.

The difference 100Gb to 25Gb is another as this would tell you have 75Gb of SAS datasets or related to that.

-> Check  for lost/left over SASWork datasets possible part of your personal folders

-> having 75Gb of SAS datasets think about how you have organized that. Backups? original location/source?

The hardware should not be the issue.
A SSD 250Gb is about a $200. an external HD (usb) 1000Gb (1TB) about $100.     

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Hornet1937
Calcite | Level 5

I found some extra data outputs, thanks.

Hornet1937
Calcite | Level 5

It is a touchscreen laptop that is dismountable from the keyboard. I teach a lot so this is a very useful function. It has a modest SSD in the tablet. Another in the base would had been better. I am a PhD student so it's hard to get funds to upgrade personal equipment and external HD are just a bit cumbersome. I mix between clouds and thumbdrives and machines. Jaap, I did have some redundant data outputs that free'd up a little bit of space. Thanks all.

Hornet1937
Calcite | Level 5

I just priced harddrives, as two of you suggested, and I see what you mean by price availability. I had not realized that the expense had dropped as significantly. Thanks again! :smileygrin:

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation