BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Bnad
Calcite | Level 5

This has been an ongoing issue in my company's use of SAS: we run SAS on two powerful unix boxes with dozens of concurrent users.  The boxes are connected to Isilon SAN storage and that is what most users use for read/write/SAS workspace.  (Local and sort workspace are on drives local to the boxes, not on SAN.)  SAS is the only app consuming significant resources on these boxes.

The issue is that we get debilitating CPU usage spikes (freezes the box for 3-5 minutes) on these boxes and from my experience, they always occur when a large PROC SORT is finishing up.  What is PROC SORT doing near the end of its process that consumes so much CPU?  Any suggestions for eliminating these spikes?  (I am not IT; just a user.)

serverload.jpg
2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

A few pieces of the puzzle, but definitely not a full answer ...

Toward the end of the SORT process, SAS interleaves the various sort areas, forming the final sorted SAS data set.  There would be a little cleanup after that, such as releasing the sort work areas.

Bnad
Calcite | Level 5

I should clarify that these spikes/freezes happen really late in the PROC SORT, after the sorted dataset is fully written to disk, but before the PROC SORT finishes.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation