garfieldmadness
Calcite | Level 5

proc iml;

call randseed(4545); * initialize the stream (like streaminit);

x = J(5000,1,.); * pre-allocate space for random numbers;

call randgen(x,'normal',0,1); * fill x with N(0,1) deviates;

y = y + (x**2 - 3*x**3 + 5x < 1);

p = y / 5000;  * MEAN acts on each matrix column;

se = sqrt(y*(1-y)/5000); * VAR, but not STD or STDERR, also acts on columns;

print "IML STEP: estimated mean of sqrt(abs(X)) is" p "with standard error" se;  * use PRINT, not PUT;

I'm trying to use monte carlo integration with proc iml to estimate the probability that x**2 - 3*x**3 + 5x is less than 1. What am I doing wrong? Do loops are not allowed by the way.

proc iml;

start tr(x,y); * create function called tr;

/* handle bad case */

/*if x<0 then do; return (.); end; * send back missing;*/

N = nrow(x);

dx = x[2:N] - x[1:N-1];

ymean = (y[2:N] + y[1:N-1]) / 2;

return(dx` * ymean );

finish tr;

x = do(-2,5,0.01);

print "Integral of y over x is" ( tr(x,sin(x##2)) );

I keep receiving the (execution) invalid subscript or subscript out of range. How do I solve this problem?

3 REPLIES 3
IanWakeling
Barite | Level 11

I will take the second problem.   Insert a "print N;" statement into the module tr, I suspect the value of N is not what you think it is.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

As Ian notes, when dealing with a matrix language it is essential to always know the dimensions of your vectors and matrices.

This is a good exercise. Your professor has constructed two classic problems.  For the Monte Carlo problem, look carefully at the statement

y = y + (f(x)<1));

Has y been defined? If not, you cannot use it on the right hand side of an expression.

Good luck!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You should also look up the difference between the ** operator and the ## operator. Here is the doc:

SAS/IML(R) 13.1 User's Guide

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation