Statistical programming, matrix languages, and more

Working on big matrix with proc iml

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Working on big matrix with proc iml

Hello everyone,

I am running into a problem when manipulating an enormous matrix with proc iml. I am on SAS 9.4 TS 1M1. My codes are as followed:

proc iml;

use dnet_new_1;
read all var{director_id connected_director_id yearb yeare} into x;
close dnet_new_1;

xrow=nrow(x);

z=shape({.},xrow,5);
z[,1:4]=x;
z[1,5]=1;

do i=2 to xrow;
if x[i,1]^=x[i-1,1] | x[i,2]^=x[i-1,2] then z[i,5]=1;
else if x[i,3]-x[i-1,4]<=1 then z[i,5]=z[i-1,5];
else z[i,5]=z[i-1,5]+1;
end;

create dnet_new2_1 from z;
append from z;
close dnet_new2_1;
quit;

The matrix has 59,248,496 rows and 5 columns. I've already used the MEMSIZE option to allocate all possible system memory. It reads the following after I run "proc options option=memsize value;":

Option Value Information For SAS Option MEMSIZE
Value: 33523975680
Scope: SAS Session
How option value set: SAS Session Startup Command Line

Nevertheless, I receive the following error message: "ERROR: (execution) Unable to allocate sufficient memory. At least 2147483647 more bytes required. ".

Any advice will be appreciated. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-07-2018 10:10 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Working on big matrix with proc iml

Two good references for computing with big matrices are 

The first reference tells you that a 60 million x 5 matrix requires about 2.2 GB of RAM.

The second tells you that on Windows PCs, SAS/IML 14.1 (shipped with SAS 9.4M3) supports matrices up to 2^31 elements (about 2  billion elements or 16GB). However, you are running SAS 9.4M1.  On that release (for Windows), any one matrix is limited to 2GB. Your matrix exceeds 2 GB.

Your computation is only using one row at a time (and a LAG value) so you can easily do this computation in the DATA step. 

If you want to stay in in SAS/IML, you can read the data in chunks (for example, 30 million at a time), as shown in the third reference.

HOWEVER, THE EASIEST way to proceed is to let z = j(xrow, 1, .), rather tha embed x into the first 4 columns of z. You can then compute the elements of z (formerly the 5th column) as a vector. Write z to a data set and then merge it with the original data.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎01-07-2018 10:10 PM
SAS Super FREQ

Two good references for computing with big matrices are 

The first reference tells you that a 60 million x 5 matrix requires about 2.2 GB of RAM.

The second tells you that on Windows PCs, SAS/IML 14.1 (shipped with SAS 9.4M3) supports matrices up to 2^31 elements (about 2  billion elements or 16GB). However, you are running SAS 9.4M1.  On that release (for Windows), any one matrix is limited to 2GB. Your matrix exceeds 2 GB.

Your computation is only using one row at a time (and a LAG value) so you can easily do this computation in the DATA step. 

If you want to stay in in SAS/IML, you can read the data in chunks (for example, 30 million at a time), as shown in the third reference.

HOWEVER, THE EASIEST way to proceed is to let z = j(xrow, 1, .), rather tha embed x into the first 4 columns of z. You can then compute the elements of z (formerly the 5th column) as a vector. Write z to a data set and then merge it with the original data.

New Contributor

Thank you Rick for responding to my very first post to the SAS community. Your advice and blogs are so helpful. I really appreciate that.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation