BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ss59
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I have a nxn matrix (for simplicity assuming n=3) like following:

proc iml;
A = {0.1 0.2 0.5, 0.2 0.4 0.6, 0.2 0.3 0.8};

I have another table - a reference table, which specifies which values from this nxn (n=3) matrix needs to be written to a new data table. that table is following:

data output_table;
infile datalines dsd;
length FieldName $20 FieldSourceTable $20;
input Matrix_Id Row_Order Column_Order IsZero FieldName FieldSourceTable;
datalines;
3, 1, 1, 1, ., .
3, 1, 2, 0, result1, table2
3, 1, 3, 0, result1, table2
3, 2, 1, 1, ., .
3, 2, 2, 0, sum1, table2
3, 2, 3, 0, sum2, table2
3, 3, 1, 0, prod1, table2
3, 3, 2, 0, prod2, table2
3, 3, 3, 1, ., .
;

Assume the matrix A is my Matrix_ID 3. So, I need to create a new table called table 2 with the names specified in 'FieldName' column in the reference table and write specific values from the matrix to the table (e.g. (2,3)th element to the column 'sum2'). The following code works for the purpose:

proc sort data= output_table out= output_table;
by Row_Order Column_Order;
quit;

proc iml;
use output_table; /* parameterization table for matrix 3 (output table)*/
read all var {Column_Order Row_Order FieldName};
close;

idx = loc(FieldName ^= " ");

refNames = FieldName[idx];

A = {0.1 0.2 0.5, 0.2 0.4 0.6, 0.2 0.3 0.8}; /*A is the full matrix to write*/

C = A[idx];
C = t(C);
mattrib C colname=refNames;

print C;

The ouput matrix C looks like following:

result1result1sum1sum2prod1prod2

What I want to do is, whenever I have two or more elements of the matrix to be written to the same row, I want them to be summed up. So, my ideal output in this case would be to sum up 0.2 and 0.5 and have 0.7 as result1 as the following output matrix (let's call it D):

result1sum1sum2prod1prod2

Then I'd write the matrix D to a data table:

create data_to_write from D[colname = refNames];
append from D; /** create data set and append in each subsequent steps**/
end;

Not being able to sum the elements with same column name to create the matrix D for all cases of same column name. Could you please help? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Yep, that seems to work nicely.  Not sure if there's a better non-loop way, maybe Rick will have a better suggestion.  I think in R there's a simpler way (without the loop), if I recall correctly, involving matrix multiplication, maybe that's possible in IML as well.

Just identify the unique refNames, then loop over that and use the loc technique again to identify the matching rows in refNames, then grab the corresponding rows in C and sum them.

proc iml;
close;

uNames = unique(refNames);  *vector of unique names in refNames;

A = {0.1 0.2 0.5,
     0.2 0.4 0.6, 
     0.2 0.3 0.8}; /*A is the full matrix to write*/

C = A[idx];
cFin = j(1,ncol(uNames));    *target vector to populate, already the right structure;

do i = 1 to ncol(uNames);    *iterate over uNames (the unique names);
  uIdx = loc(refNames=uNames[i]);   *find all of the rows from the refNames vector that have that unique name;
  cFin[i] = sum(C[uIdx]);           *now sum the rows from C that match those refNames rows and put into target vector;
end;

mattrib cFin colname=uNames;

print C idx refNames cFin;

quit;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11
I think UNIQUE-LOC is the way to go - https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2011/11/01/the-unique-loc-trick-a-real-treat.html

I'll see if I can whip up an example.
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Yep, that seems to work nicely.  Not sure if there's a better non-loop way, maybe Rick will have a better suggestion.  I think in R there's a simpler way (without the loop), if I recall correctly, involving matrix multiplication, maybe that's possible in IML as well.

Just identify the unique refNames, then loop over that and use the loc technique again to identify the matching rows in refNames, then grab the corresponding rows in C and sum them.

proc iml;
close;

uNames = unique(refNames);  *vector of unique names in refNames;

A = {0.1 0.2 0.5,
     0.2 0.4 0.6, 
     0.2 0.3 0.8}; /*A is the full matrix to write*/

C = A[idx];
cFin = j(1,ncol(uNames));    *target vector to populate, already the right structure;

do i = 1 to ncol(uNames);    *iterate over uNames (the unique names);
  uIdx = loc(refNames=uNames[i]);   *find all of the rows from the refNames vector that have that unique name;
  cFin[i] = sum(C[uIdx]);           *now sum the rows from C that match those refNames rows and put into target vector;
end;

mattrib cFin colname=uNames;

print C idx refNames cFin;

quit;
ss59
Obsidian | Level 7
That is quite neat. Thanks!
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

Recalled the matrix multiplication solution. I think it wouldn't help here. You make a NxM matrix (or is it MxN?) where N is the rows in C and M is the columns in cFin (the uniques), and populate [n,m] with a 1 if that row in C corresponds to that column of cFin, and 0 if not, then matrix multiplication will give you the result you want - but in this case to make that matrix would be just as hard as doing the unique-loc loop anyway, I think, so wouldn't save any time.

If A is really huge, and you're not taking all that many values from it, then you can probably make that matrix though more easily from refNames and use matrix multiplication twice to get from A to the result.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Use the UNIQUE-LOC trick to loop over the unique elements of the refNames. See

The UNIQUE-LOC Trick

An efficient alternative to the UNIQUE-LOC trick

uNames = unique(refNames); /* unique names (sorted) */
newRefNames = uNames;      /* initialize character array to set the length */
D = j(1, ncol(uNames), .);
do j = 1 to ncol(uNames);
   jdx = loc( refNames = uNames[j]);
   D[j] = sum( C[jdx] );
   newRefNames[j] = refNames[jdx[1]];
end;
print D[c=uNames];

IMHO, you could save a lot of time if you clean and organize the data. Combining duplicate fields and eliminating/recoding missing values are part of the data cleansing phase. IML is typically used for the analysis phase.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation