BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
oriti
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all,

I wrote a sas/iml code which compute a coefficients matrix of three OLS regressions. (VAR model)

Is it possible to plug in this matrix in VAR model at SAS/STAT in order to calculate the residuals? (residual=y-yhat)

and then the covariance matrix between the residuals?

Usually the SAS regression procedures compute the matrix of the coefficients.

Here I want to give the X, coefficient's matrix and then to compute the residuals.

I'll appreciate any information,

Thanks,

Orit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Being possible and being a good idea are two different things. Yes, it is possible. However, I agree with that evaluating (scoring) the model in SAS/IML will probably be simpler, since evaluating a model is just matrix multiplication.

If you decide to go the SAS/STAT route, look into PROC SCORE. You would have to write the coefficients to a data set in the form that PROC SCORE could consume, as described here: SAS/STAT(R) 13.1 User's Guide

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If you have already done the calculation of coefficients in PROC IML, then you could easily compute residuals in PROC IML as well. Using SAS/STAT in this situation only complicates things, in my opinion.

--
Paige Miller
oriti
Fluorite | Level 6

You right in general.

But I have a VAR model which is in my case three equation and can be more.

So it will be really efficient if it is possible to plug in the coefficient matrix into SAS/STAT.

Is it possible?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Without knowing the details of what you are doing, I can't see how it would be more efficient to compute coefficients in IML and then move the coefficients somewhere else for calculation of residuals. You have everything you need already in IML.

But if you must use SAS/STAT, use PROC SCORE.

--
Paige Miller
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Being possible and being a good idea are two different things. Yes, it is possible. However, I agree with that evaluating (scoring) the model in SAS/IML will probably be simpler, since evaluating a model is just matrix multiplication.

If you decide to go the SAS/STAT route, look into PROC SCORE. You would have to write the coefficients to a data set in the form that PROC SCORE could consume, as described here: SAS/STAT(R) 13.1 User's Guide

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation