Statistical programming, matrix languages, and more

Problem with installing SAS/IML Studio on Windows 8.1 computer

Occasional Contributor

Problem with installing SAS/IML Studio on Windows 8.1 computer

I downloaded SAS/IML Studio, statstudio__92120__wx6__xx__web__1.zip to my Windows 8.1 desktop, my home computer.  The extraction went fine but somehow I cannot successfully run the setup.  When I double-clicked setup, Windows 8.1 simply does not recognize the setup.exe and gives me the message "This application does not support your platform".

Respected Advisor

Re: Problem with installing SAS/IML Studio on Windows 8.1 computer

The version of SAS/IML Studio you downloaded came with SAS 9.2.

If you look here: http://support.sas.com/supportos/list you will see that SAS 9.2 is not supported on Windows 8.1. You need to download a SAS 9.3/9.4 version that is supported by Windows 8.1.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I did not even read that support list and assumed that if I run the latest version of Windows, SAS 9.2 should work and it turned out I cannot even install the application.  Does SAS provide a free version of SAS 9.3/9.4 for download by any chance?  I had working knowledge of SAS when it ran on IBM mainframes from years ago but am interested to get re-familiarized with the Windows based SAS.  

SAS Super FREQ

But be aware that not all versions of SAS/IML Studio run with old versions of SAS.  What version of SAS are you running?

Occasional Contributor

I do not have any SAS installed on my home computer.  I am hoping to find a free version, albeit with more limited functionality so I can re-acquaint myself with this application at my own pace.

SAS Super FREQ

It sounds like you want the SAS University Edition: Free Statistical Software, SAS University Edition | SAS

Occasional Contributor

This SAS University Edition should have no problems to be functional on Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 based on what I see under System Requirements on the page you sent, is that right?  Somehow I had the impression that SAS 9.2 should work on my Windows 8.1 as well when I saw the reference to 64-bit.

SAS Super FREQ

There is no free download of SAS 9.2.

Occasional Contributor

I downloaded from the following link early this afternoon but could not run the setup ...

SAS Institute Inc. Software Downloads

SAS Super FREQ

You do not want SAS/IML Studio. You want the University Edition.  Download from the link I sent and forget about SAS/IML Studio.

Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the University Edition but also downloaded the Oracle Virtual Machine per instruction from the website you sent,  Unfortunately, it is not clear sailing yet, as the virtual machine I installed on my Windows 8.1 computer cannot open a session after I imported the University Session since VT-x is currently disabled in the BIOS of my computer.  So I am getting close, but not quite there yet.  Does the University Edition have the look and feel of the SAS/IML Studio?  Hopefully, a friend who is an expert on BIOS and VM can show me how to fix my remaining problem.

Grand Advisor

https://communities.sas.com/docs/DOC-6745

This is a known issue. See link above for instructions on how to resolve it.

Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation