BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nicolas_
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

In order to estimate mixture models i need to generate multiple random starts and estimate the local maxima of the likelihood by the expectation-maximization algorithm. Thus, i have two loops, one outer loop for a particular set of starting values and an inner loop for the EM iterations. For some bad start values the EM-iterations encounter computational problems such as singular matrices, overflows,.. This is not a problem, just discard these start values and try a new set. I try to do this as follows:

onerror=" goto st; resume; ";
do s=1 to n_start;
call push(onerror);
st: run start; /*some module to generate start values*/
do e=1 to em_iterations;
run em; /*some module to perform 1 EM-iteration*/
end;
end;

This however doesn't work and i get ERROR: Unresolved label: ST. I've also tried
onerror=" do; goto st; resume; end;"; but that doesn't work either.

Does anyone have an idea how to make this work (or knows a better way to go about this)?

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas
1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
I think the fundamental problem is that the error occurs in the EM module, but you are trying to jump to a statement outside of the module. that's why the ST label is not recognized.

What I like to do is to have the module that might fail return a "return code" that can be handled by the calling routine. In the code below, I use a DO/WHILE loop to jump out of the iterative loop when the EM module fails. I then call the INIT routine and continue to the next set of starting values.

proc iml;
start init;
x=1;
finish;

start EM(args);
onError={ "if ErrorChecking then do;"
"rc = 1;"
"call push(onerror);"
"resume;"
"end;"
};
call push(onError);
rc = 0; /* return 0 if no error */
ErrorChecking = 1; /* turn on error checking */
t = log(0.75-uniform(54321));/* error 25% of the time */
ErrorChecking = 0; /* turn off error checking */
return (rc); /* return whether error occurred */
finish;

myargs = {1,2,3};
run init;
do s=1 to 3;
err = 0; /* no error */
do e=1 to 5 while(err=0); /* exit loop on error */
err = EM(myargs); /* perform 1 iteration*/
print s e err;
end;
if err then do; /* error: reinitialize */
print "*** Error occurred...reinitialize ***";
run init; /* regenerate starting values*/
end;
end;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation