BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Salah
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

I keep on getting the following "ERROR: (execution) Matrix has not been set to a value." my understanding is that "q" is undefined but it is well defined!!

seems that I don't understand what is the issue exactly? I need your help, please !!!

Thank you

1.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The log tells you the line that contains the error and what the error is. On Line 217  (which is X_1_q=J(q,1,0);) the value q is undefined. The J function requires that the number of rows and columns be positive.

Notice that the loop that defines q only assigns a value if a certain logical condition is satisfied. Otherwise, q is not defined.

DO idx=1 to m-1;
if (( X_p[idx] < T) & (X_p[idx+1] >= T)) then q=idx;  /* <== not defnd if condition false */
END;

Salah
Quartz | Level 8

But the other condition is there

Do idx=1 to m-1;

if (( X[idx] < T) & (X[idx+1] >= T)) then q=idx;
end;

if ( X[m] <= T) then q= m;

with this I exhausted all the cases

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No. For example, the situation T=0 and x={1, 2, 3} is not covered by your logic.

By the way, if you are trying to find the interval in which T is contained, then consider using the BIN function:

q = bin(T, x);

Salah
Quartz | Level 8

T in my case represents the terminal time (time to finish the study) while X represents the failure times (X1,...,Xn).  I am looking for  m failures. So either I get these m failures before the time T (that is why I have the condition T>= Xm) if not then T is between two times. That is why the ( Bin ) suggestion won't work in my case.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It's your program, so feel free to ignore my suggestions. But I'd like to point out that you can still use the BIN function:

q = bin(T, x);

if q = . then q=m;  /* if T out of range, assign q manually */

Anyway, good luck with your problem.

Salah
Quartz | Level 8

I am so so grateful to your help.  I didn't know that I still can use (Bin) which is why I was trying to explain my problem in more detail.

Thank you again for your help. Iam definitely going to take your suggestion.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation