BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ciro
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I would like to produce small multiple maps, but I was unable to find suggestions.

I would appreciate some guidance on the steps needed.

Is there any solution with statistical graphics?

thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

In addition to the technique Sanjay mentioned, if you want to use SAS' premiere mapping procedure (proc Gmap), here are some alternatives...

If you have a set number of maps in your grid, you could create each map separately, and then use Proc Greplay to place them all on the same page, in a custom Greplay template that you design with the layout you want.

If you're going to be viewing the output in a web browser, you can use "ods htmlpanel" to place several maps on the same web page.

And here's an example where I get a little trickier... Rather than using greplay or htmlpanel, I actually duplicate the map

several times, with numeric x/y offsets to make the maps show up beside of each other.

SAS/Graph grid-of-maps (age/smoking/income) - Custom SAS/Graph gmap

http://www.robslink.com/SAS/democd42/mapgrid_info.htm

mapgrid.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

It all depends on what you want to do and the release of SAS you are using.  With SAS 9.4M1, you can use the polygon plot to draw maps from any polygonal data set including from the MAPS library.  With earlier releases, you can still create outline maps. 

But "Small Multiples" can include many different cases so you will need to be more specific. Preferably point to an example on the web, or a sketch of what you want and the data you have.

ciro
Quartz | Level 8

I am running 9.4 M1

The kind of graph I'am trying to produce is similar to the one at the bottom of this page:

AllAnalytics - Jonathan Schwabish - Get Visual With Small Multiples

Actually I dont' need so many maps, more in the range 6-12. And each subgraph should have only one "title", that is I a matrix-like structure is not needed. at the bottom of the whole graph there should be the legend with the colors used.

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

In addition to the technique Sanjay mentioned, if you want to use SAS' premiere mapping procedure (proc Gmap), here are some alternatives...

If you have a set number of maps in your grid, you could create each map separately, and then use Proc Greplay to place them all on the same page, in a custom Greplay template that you design with the layout you want.

If you're going to be viewing the output in a web browser, you can use "ods htmlpanel" to place several maps on the same web page.

And here's an example where I get a little trickier... Rather than using greplay or htmlpanel, I actually duplicate the map

several times, with numeric x/y offsets to make the maps show up beside of each other.

SAS/Graph grid-of-maps (age/smoking/income) - Custom SAS/Graph gmap

http://www.robslink.com/SAS/democd42/mapgrid_info.htm

mapgrid.png

tc
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 tc
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This doesn't do eveything you're looking for, but check out this old SGF paper, which I cobbled together after reading Robert's useful how-to examples:

Fit-to-aT: Using SAS® to Create a SAS® Global Forum 2011 T-Shirt

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/220-2011.pdf

IMG_20141120_115856.jpg

ciro
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you guys, I am in the process of trying your techniques.

ciro
Quartz | Level 8

okay, here is where I am stuck..

after defining with pattern statements the colors I would like to use, I had produced maps with by group processing. Each by group is a sector.

after that the plan was to put individual graphs in a greplay template to show small multiples.

however for each by group sas uses only some of the colors I have set, while I would like it assigned a precise color to each range, so that comparisons can be made across individual maps.

here is the kind of code I am using.

proc format;

value map2fmt

.='No Data'

low-20='<=20'

20<-22='20<-22'

22<-24='22<-24'

24<-26='24<-26'

26<-28='26<-28'

28<-30='28<-30'

30<-32='30<-32'

32<-34='32<-34'

34<-36='34<-36'

36<-38='36<-38'

38<-40='38<-40'

40<-high='>40'

;

run;

goptions reset=all;

goptions ftext=swiss ftitle=swiss xpixels = 1600 ypixels = 1200 ;

%patterns(%bquote(&ramp));

proc gmap data=estimates map=country all ;

by sector;

format ch map2fmt.;

id id;

choro ch / coutline=black discrete name="gra" anno=centeranno;

run;

quit;

any help is greatly appreciated.

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

I would recommend putting the data into 'buckets' and then specifying all those buckets in the gmap midpoints= option.

This technique is described in the "Custom Color Binning" example in the following chapter:

http://www.robslink.com/SAS/book1/Chapter_05_Maps.pdf

ciro
Quartz | Level 8

thanks robert!

it works very well now.

I am heading now towards the greplay part.

ciro
Quartz | Level 8

Ok, I am implementing the greplaying of the maps in a 3*2 template.

I am following the paper]Effective SAS greplay'ing and how to avoid stretching

the final aim is to insert the figure in a ms-word document.

I have two problems now:

1. the device emf erase part of the graph in the emf file (not in the sas output, where however the graph is in the landscape instad of portrait!)

gif device works, but I might have the necessity to resize the graph in word.

2. I don't know how to have a common legend. I read the following:

24945 - Replay graphs with a common title and legend with PROC GREPLAY

but how can i adapt it to gmap?

here is my code up to now:

ods graphics off;

ods hml close;

ods listing;

proc greplay nofs igout=work.gseg;                                                                                                    

delete _all_;                                                                                                                      

run;                                                                                                                                  

quit;

filename outgs 'G:\temp';

title;title2;

goptions reset=all;

goptions ymax=6.4cm ypixels=640 xmax=9cm xpixels=900;

goptions device=emf htext=0.35cm ftext=simplex;

%patterns(%bquote(&ramp));

proc gmap data=ds map=mapcoordinates all gout=work.tempcat;

by attecon;

id id;

choro bucket / midpoints='a' 'b' 'c' 'd' 'e' 'f' 'g' 'h' 'i'

coutline=black  name="ita" anno=centeranno nolegend;

run;

quit;

proc greplay tc=work.tempcat nofs;

tdef newtemp des='Six panel template'

1/ulx=0 uly=91

urx=50 ury=91

llx=0 lly=64

lrx=50 lry=64

2/ulx=50 uly=91

urx=100 ury=91

llx=50 lly=64

lrx=100 lry=64

3/ulx=0 uly=64

urx=50 ury=64

llx=0 lly=37

lrx=50 lry=37

4/ulx=50 uly=64

urx=100 ury=64

llx=50 lly=37

lrx=100 lry=37

5/ulx=0 uly=37

urx=50 ury=37

llx=0 lly=10

lrx=50 lry=10

6/ulx=50 uly=37

urx=100 ury=37

llx=50 lly=10

lrx=100 lry=10;

run;

quit;

goptions ymax=24cm ypixels=2400 xmax=18cm xpixels=1800;

filename gsasfile 'G:\temp\completemap.emf';

goptions gsfname=gsasfile gsfmode=replace;

proc greplay tc=work.tempcat nofs;

template newtemp;

igout work.tempcat;

treplay 1:MAP20

2:MAP8

3:MAP4

4:MAP19

5:MAP26

6:MAP27;

;

run;

quit;

thank you very much for any help!

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

For your common legend, you might want to just create that manually using annotate on a Proc Gslide, or something like that.

I haven't used emf, so I'm not sure what advice to give you there.

ciro
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much Robert, I'll try it. And thanks to everybody. This forum is just awesome.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation