BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Hello all-

I am using SG template to create a bar graph in SAS 9.2.3

Right now I have the colors designated in a template that changes the colors of the bars (barchart) successfully based on a facility but when I attempt to use the color grouping in the scatterplot, it simply makes them all black. I realize that each graphing component has their own line per se. Any way to use the same formatting? 

Or there a way then to simply put in conditional logic as there are only two colors which I prefer anyway to designate colors.

Entire template falls below.

Thank you for your time.

Best,

Lawrence

proc template;

define style Styles.X2;

parent=STYLES.Printer;

style Graphdata1 /Color=lightblue;

style Graphdata2 /Color=lightgreen;

*style Graphdata3 /Color=lightgreen;

end;

define statgraph BarLineMulti;

begingraph;

entrytitle halign=center  TEXTATTRS=(color=black size=13pt)  "HAP RATE FOR ALL MEDICAL FACILITIES";

entrytitle halign=center  TEXTATTRS=(color=black size=13pt)  "October 2011 to September 2012";  

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(display=(line ticks tickvalues )) cycleattrs=true  yaxisopts=(LABEL=('HAP RATE per 1000 admits') griddisplay=on linearopts=(tickvaluesequence=(start=0 end=15 increment=.5))) ;

barchart x=FAC_ID y=RATE /skin=modern /*FILLATTRS =(color=lightblue)*/ GROUP=COLOR_SCHEME;

scatterplot x=FAC_ID y=RATE_FOR_G /skin=modern    markerattrs=(symbol=circlefilled size=22 GROUP=COLOR_SCHEME)  name="# of HAPS" legendlabel="# of HAPS";

*scatterplot x=FAC_ID y=RATE_FOR_G /skin=modern markerattrs=(symbol=circle size=31 color=BIBG) ;   

scatterplot x=FAC_ID y=RATE_FOR_G / DISCRETEOFFSET=-.2 markercharacter=RATE markercharacterattrs=(color=black weight=bold);

/*  discretelegend  "# of HAPS"/

location=outside halign=right valign=bottom;*/

endlayout;

endgraph;

end;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

You are right, there are no special options for index in sgrender.  You have the right option in one of the scatter plot statements.  I assume you are using index values of 1, 2, and 3.  If you use different index values in the data, do you at least see the different colors used?

Are you sure you are using the new derived style in the destination?  If you see my example, all you should need is another variable that provides the index into the list of Graph Data elements with each observation.

Your code to Dan does not have the full code and data.  WORK.HAPS4 is not found.  Need the full code and data to help debug.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

You really need to look at the supported syntax for the statements.  There is no option called GROUP= inside the MARKERATTRS option.

If you want both the bar and the scatter to use the same three colors from your custom style, remove the CYCLEATTRS option on the LAYOUT OVERLAY statement and use GROUP=COLOR_SCHEME on the scatterPlot.  I think that will work.

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Sanjay;

I have been hunting around and I did notice the syntax group= does not follow the MARKERATTRS option. However I have seen it listed as a general option  listed in some of the other white papers I have seen, so is this a viable option?

I have also figured out that if I list style Graphdata3 /contrastcolor=lightgreen  for example instead of color it does control the background color of the scatterplot. However when I use the group function in conjunction with a Graphdata4 element it is moot and I get a black circle again.

Removing the CYCLEATTRS option on the overlay has no effect w/ or without the added graphdata elements.

Thanks again for your help.

Lawrence

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

I assume you are using GTL because you want to overlay scatters on bars.  Else you could use SGPLOT.

If the statement does not have a GROUP option, all elements use the GRAPHDATADEFAULT style element.  So, all bars will be light blue, and all markers will be black (for style=LISTING).  If the statement uses the GROUP option, then the colors are derived from the GraphData1-N style elements.  Plots with large filled areas (bars, bands) use the COLOR attribute from the style element.  The Markers and Lines use the CONTRASTCOLOR attributes.

proc template;
  define statgraph class;
    begingraph;
      entrytitle 'Weight by Height for Male Students';
      layout overlay;
        barchart x=name y=height / group=name;
        scatterplot x=name y=height / group=name markerattrs=(symbol=circlefilled size=15);

endlayout;
    endgraph;
  end;
run;

ods html close;
ods listing;
ods graphics / reset width=6in height=3in imagename='class';
proc sgrender data=sashelp.class(where=(sex='M')) template=class;
run;

class.png

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Sanjay & Reeza-

Many Thanks. I will take a look.

Lawrence

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Sanjay;

IS there a way to actually figure out what GraphData1-N style elements apply to what?

In the section below, the colors are rendered, but I can't seem to control them-they come out blue,red, and green.

Thanks

Lawrence

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(display=(line ticks tickvalues ) offsetmin=0.03 offsetmax=0.03

timeopts=( tickvaluefitpolicy=rotatethin interval=month /*viewmin= &graphdate* viewmax='01DEC12'D*/))  yaxisopts=(LABEL=('HAP RATE PER 1000 Admits') offsetmin=0.05 offsetmax=0.05 griddisplay=on) ;

referenceline y=5.3 /lineattrs=graphdatadefault(thickness=3 color=black);

seriesplot x=month y=trendhat / lineattrs=graphdatadefault(thickness=3 color=purple) name="TREND LINE"    LEGENDLABEL="TREND LINE" ;

seriesplot x=month y=RATE / lineattrs=graphdatadefault(thickness=3 color=black) name="xxx RATE PER 1000 ADMITS"    LEGENDLABEL="xxx  RATE PER 1000 ADMITS" ;

scatterplot x=month y=RATE / GROUP=grp_color  includemissinggroup=false  markerattrs=(symbol=circlefilled size=23);

scatterplot x=month y=RATE /includemissinggroup=false markerattrs=(symbol=circle size=24 color=black) ;

scatterplot x=month y=RATE /discreteoffset= -0.1 includemissinggroup=false markercharacter=rpt_pbl   markercharacterattrs=(color=white weight=bold );

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Since you are using SAS 9.2, your best option is to use the INDEX=<numeric-column> option on the SCATTERPLOT statement to control the style element assignement. The column should contain values 1 to N, corresponding to the GraphData style element you want for that observation.

Hope this helps!

Dan

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

I will try the indexing option, but then if I set the

style Graphdata1 /Color=orange for example, then if index=1 it should correlate to orange then?

I will give it a go. Thanks

Lawrence

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

For plot lines and markers, you will need to set CONTRASTCOLOR=orange. The COLOR affects filled areas, like bar charts.

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

OK Dan-

I think I am doing something wrong wrong here as the colors don't render as desired.

Here is the snippet of the data set to create the index. It creates three values depending on if the rate is above,below, or the last month of interest- I essentially render the grp_colors the same values.

proc sql;

create table HAPG as select fac_id,rate,month,

case when month='01DEC12'D then 3

when rate<=5.3 then 1

when rate>5.3 then 2  end as grp_color,

case when month='01DEC12'D then 3

when rate<=5.3 then 1

when rate>5.3 then 2  end as index,

case when month='01DEC12'D then left(put(rate,8.1)||'*') else left(put(rate,8.1)) end as rpt_pbl

from HAPS4

ORDER BY FAC_ID,month;

QUIT;

Below is the template-I used wild colors just to help me learn this-

The statements in green are the graphdata elements and the scatterplot element I am trying to code accordingly.

Many thanks again.

Lawrence

proc template;

define style Styles.XCL;

parent=STYLES.Printer;

replace GraphFonts /

'GraphDataFont' = ("arial",6pt)             

'GraphUnicodeFont' = ("arial",6pt)                

'GraphValueFont' = ("arial",6pt)            

'GraphLabelFont' = ("arial",6pt,bold)      

'GraphFootnoteFont' = ("arial",6pt)        

'GraphTitleFont' = ("garamond",8pt,bold)      

'GraphAnnoFont' = ("arial",10pt); 

class LayoutContainer /                                               

padding = 0                                                        

borderspacing = 4                                                 

borderwidth = 0                                                    

frame = void                                                       

rules = none

background=white;  

style Header /                                                        

font = fonts('HeadingFont')                                        

/*backgroundcolor = white */                                        

bordercolor = cxC1C1C1                                             

bordertopwidth = 0px                                               

borderleftwidth = 0px                                              

borderbottomwidth = 1px                                            

borderrightwidth = 1px;

class systemTitle, systemfooter  /

/*foreground=white*/

background = white;

style sysTitleAndFooterContainer from sysTitleAndFooterContainer /

cellspacing=0;

style Graphdata1 /contrastColor=pink;

style Graphdata2 /contrastColor=orange;

style Graphdata3 /contrastColor=blue;

/*style Graphdata3 /Color=orange;*/

end;

define statgraph BarLineMultC;

begingraph;

/*entrytitle halign=right   TEXTATTRS=(size=11pt color=&COLOR1)   " "  ;

entrytitle halign=right   TEXTATTRS=(size=9pt) " "  ;

entrytitle halign=right   TEXTATTRS=(size=9pt) " "  ;*/

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(display=(line ticks tickvalues ) offsetmin=0.03 offsetmax=0.03

timeopts=( tickvaluefitpolicy=rotatethin interval=month /*viewmin= &graphdate* viewmax='01DEC12'D*/))  yaxisopts=(LABEL=('HAP RATE PER 1000 Admits') offsetmin=0.05 offsetmax=0.05 griddisplay=on) ;

referenceline y=5.3 /lineattrs=graphdatadefault(thickness=3 color=black);

seriesplot x=month y=trendhat / lineattrs=graphdatadefault(thickness=3 color=purple) name="TREND LINE"    LEGENDLABEL="TREND LINE" ;

seriesplot x=month y=RATE / lineattrs=graphdatadefault(thickness=3 color=black) name="HAP RATE PER 1000 ADMITS"    LEGENDLABEL="HAP RATE PER 1000 ADMITS" ;

scatterplot x=month y=RATE / GROUP=grp_color index=index  includemissinggroup=false  markerattrs=(symbol=circlefilled size=23);

scatterplot x=month y=RATE /includemissinggroup=false markerattrs=(symbol=circle size=24 color=black) ;

scatterplot x=month y=RATE /discreteoffset= -0.1 includemissinggroup=false markercharacter=rpt_pbl   markercharacterattrs=(color=white weight=bold );

discretelegend   "HAP RATE PER 1000 ADMITS"  "TREND LINE" "Prelim" /

location=outside  valign=bottom;

endlayout;

endgraph;

end;

run;

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

I do not see yourSGRENDER step or your data.  Here is example and output.  First example uses INDEX= INDEX1 with 1 & 2 for M & F.  Second one uses INDEX2  with graphdata 4 & 5

data class;
  set sashelp.class;
  if sex eq 'M' then do; index1=1; index2=4; end;
  else do; index1=2; index2=5; end;
  run;

proc template;
  define statgraph class;
  dynamic _index;
    begingraph;
      entrytitle 'Weight by Height for all Students';
      layout overlay;
     scatterplot x=height y=weight / group=sex index=_index
          markerattrs=(symbol=circlefilled size=15) name='a';
        discretelegend 'a';
   endlayout;
endgraph;
  end;
run;

ods html close;
ods listing;
ods graphics / reset width=5in height=3in imagename='class1';
proc sgrender data=class template=class;
  dynamic _index='index1';
run;

ods graphics / reset width=5in height=3in imagename='class2';
proc sgrender data=class template=class;
  dynamic _index='index2';
run;

class1.png

class2.png

Reeza
Super User

Here's a good post that might help with what you're trying to do in terms of colouring your graphs consistently.

http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/2012/02/27/roses-are-red-violets-are-blue/

Look at the 2 trackbacks on the links at the bottom.

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

Reeza;

The link is interesting. However, does this apply to SAS 9.2? It seems to fail to recognize the directives for the GTL language.

Thanks.

Lawrence

Reeza
Super User

GTL applies to 9.2 but some of the options are only available in 9.3, specifically the attribute maps I believe.

LB
Quartz | Level 8 LB
Quartz | Level 8

I was just reading the comments in his blog. Yes the attribute maps only applies in 9.3 unfortunately.

Aaargh. I still cannot control the markercharacterattrs to my liking.

Thanks.

Lawrence

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation