BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sara_b
Calcite | Level 5

Dear,

I would like to plot a world map with proc gmap but the UK is missing on the map although it is in the data set.

I started from the data set maps.world and I put the full name of the country into 'longname'.

In my second data set, I have a variable that is 1 for UK and 0 for all other countries.

If I make a map with all countries, United Kingdom is missing on the map.

If I make a map with only United Kingdom, United Kingdom is drawn in the map. (But there is a strange line in the map)

If I select United Kingdom and some other countries, United Kingdom is still in the map.

But as soon as I add for example Ireland or Iceland, United Kingdom is missing in the map.

Does somebody knows how to fix this?

Many thanks!

Sara

My code:

options fmtsearch=(sashelp.mapfmts);

data wereldkaart;

set maps.world;

longname=put(id,glcnlu.);

run;

data uk;

format longname $20. uk;

longname="ICELAND"; UK=0; output;longname="ALBANIA"; UK=0; output;longname="ITALY"; UK=0; output;longname="LATVIA"; UK=0; output;

longname="ROMANIA"; UK=0; output;longname="AUSTRIA"; UK=0; output;longname="CYPRUS"; UK=0; output;longname="CROATIA"; UK=0; output;

longname="ISRAEL"; UK=0; output;longname="TURKEY"; UK=0; output;longname="LITHUANIA"; UK=0; output;longname="GREECE"; UK=0; output;

longname="BULGARIA"; UK=0; output;longname="SWEDEN"; UK=0; output;longname="FRANCE"; UK=0; output;longname="ESTONIA"; UK=0; output;

longname="SLOVAKIA"; UK=0; output;longname="UKRAINE"; UK=0; output;longname="FINLAND"; UK=0; output;longname="NORWAY"; UK=0; output;

longname="NETHERLANDS"; UK=0; output;longname="DENMARK"; UK=0; output;longname="BELGIUM"; UK=0; output;longname="UNITED KINGDOM"; UK=1; output;

longname="SWITZERLAND"; UK=0; output;longname="SLOVENIA"; UK=0; output;longname="GERMANY"; UK=0; output;longname="POLAND"; UK=0; output;

longname="SPAIN"; UK=0; output;longname="IRELAND"; UK=0; output;longname="HUNGARY"; UK=0; output;longname="PORTUGAL"; UK=0; output;

run;

goptions reset=all ;

options dev=actximg printerpath=png nodate nonumber;

ods printer file="I:\ALL.png"  dpi=500;

proc gmap map=wereldkaart data=uk all;

id longname;

choro UK / cdefault=white;

run;

quit;

ods printer close;

goptions reset=all ;

ods printer file="I:\UK.png"  dpi=500;

proc gmap map=wereldkaart (where=(longname = "UNITED KINGDOM"))  data=uk all;

id longname;

run;

quit;

ods printer close;

goptions reset=all ;

ods printer file="I:\UK_others.png"  dpi=500;

proc gmap map=wereldkaart (where=(longname in ("BELGIUM","FRANCE","UNITED KINGDOM")))    data=uk all;

id longname;

run;

quit;

ods printer close;

goptions reset=all ;

ods printer file="I:\UK_others_ICELAND.png"  dpi=500;

proc gmap map=wereldkaart (where=(longname in ("BELGIUM","FRANCE","UNITED KINGDOM","ICELAND")))  data=uk all;

id longname;

run;

quit;

ods printer close;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

The stray line on the UK map is an indication of something wrong.  The GLC code shows one LONGNAME for multiple IDs.  So, United Kingdom is 416, 588 and 925.  The UK has multiple GLC values in the country and you tried to treat them as one set of Polygons... thus it got confused when drawing them.  It will work if you use "ID ID;" in Proc GMAP, but you will need to add ID to the data set UK.

It would be better to use the NEWER maps in the library MAPSGFK. 

There is much more information in the data set and a *_attr data set that contains even more information.

data map; set mapsgfk.WORLD;  if (ID="GB") then output; run;

proc gmap data=map map=map resolution=10; id id; choro id; run; quit;

or use the MAPSGFK.EUROPE data set:

data map; set mapsgfk.EUROPE;  if (ID="GB") then output; run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

The stray line on the UK map is an indication of something wrong.  The GLC code shows one LONGNAME for multiple IDs.  So, United Kingdom is 416, 588 and 925.  The UK has multiple GLC values in the country and you tried to treat them as one set of Polygons... thus it got confused when drawing them.  It will work if you use "ID ID;" in Proc GMAP, but you will need to add ID to the data set UK.

It would be better to use the NEWER maps in the library MAPSGFK. 

There is much more information in the data set and a *_attr data set that contains even more information.

data map; set mapsgfk.WORLD;  if (ID="GB") then output; run;

or use the MAPSGFK.EUROPE data set:

data map; set mapsgfk.EUROPE;  if (ID="GB") then output; run;

Sara_b
Calcite | Level 5

Many thanks! I could create the map I wanted 🙂

Sara

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation