BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BrianMc
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi my version of SAS is 9.3. I asked a similar question a few days back regarding the position of segments of a barchart and scatterplot overlay. The issue I have is the scatterplot overlay is not in sync with the barchart y axis for a horizontal chart. I am sorting both the barchart and scatterploy y values - I tried both grouporder = data and grouporder=ascending - the results below indicate the issue. How can I make this work so that the right values get the right barcolors. er the last suggestion I went back to the data and sorted it. My issue is between the barchart ordering and the ordering of the markers using a scatterplot.

waterbar.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

What this means is - to align the labels displayed by scatter plot (using your data) with stacked segments of a HBAR (which internally stacks the elements) you will have to preprocess the data to get the segments you want, and position them yourself.  Then you can draw them using a HIGHLOW plot.  

See example here:  http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/2013/09/20/stacked-bar-chart-with-segment-labels/

If you have SAS 9.40M2, segment labels can be displayed by the HBAR itself, making this easier.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

I would say that with Grouporder= DATA that you did not get the values into the order you that you wanted be graphing. If the the values you are showing come from part of a graphy with other bars I would expect the order to be the same as for the "first" bar. So if the range of groups changes you may not get what you're looking for.

Are you summarizing the data prior to graphing or letting the chart procedure to the summarization? And some code and data example may help.

BrianMc
Obsidian | Level 7

The data on both the barchart and the scatterplot are coming from the same dataset. The group=type (which is a character value)  and grouporder=data. This orders the barchart segments in the order of the type column.

On the other hand when I set the scatterplot the same way (group= type and grouporder=data) using the same x,y values the order appears to be based on the X value balance, not type. I believe this is causing the barchart and the scatterplot to be out of sync.

I can send dataset code directly if needed.

here is the segment of chart code that shows the grouporders:

barchart x=month y=balance2 / orient=horizontal group=type groupdisplay=stack grouporder=data

barwidth=.4 barlabel=true yaxis=y

barlabelattrs=(size=14 weight=bold color=blue) barlabelformat=dollarc.

stat=sum dataskin=pressed name='a' ;

scatterplot x=balance2 y=month /

group=type datatransparency=0 yaxis=y groupdisplay=overlay grouporder=data

markerattrs=(symbol=squarefilled size=.01 weight=bold) discreteoffset=-.1 DISCRETEMARKERSIZE=1

datalabel=balance2 datalabelposition=auto

DATALABELATTRS=(Color=white Size=10 Style=Italic Weight=Bold);

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

A full working program would help.  In the meantime, the (stacked) group bar chart stacks the values provided for the same category (negative and positive on each side of the zero axis).  While a value may be y, its position will be at (x+y) where x is the previous stack segment.  Group order will change how the values are stacked.

Scatter does not stack data in this manner.  So, an observation with value "y" will be placed at "y" from the axis.  Not knowing what your data set looks like it is hard to say if this is the issue.  You can try the same with a cluster bar chart (just a test).  Do you get the consistency you expect?

BrianMc
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Sanjay - when I change to cluster it works! Code is coming

cluster.PNG

Code is coming

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

What this means is - to align the labels displayed by scatter plot (using your data) with stacked segments of a HBAR (which internally stacks the elements) you will have to preprocess the data to get the segments you want, and position them yourself.  Then you can draw them using a HIGHLOW plot.  

See example here:  http://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/2013/09/20/stacked-bar-chart-with-segment-labels/

If you have SAS 9.40M2, segment labels can be displayed by the HBAR itself, making this easier.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation