Calcite | Level 5

Hello I am given data such as 

state 1985 1996 2002

1         73      45     57

2         82      36     48

3         91      29     35

4         74      10     49

etc. 

I can create box plots of 1985, 1996 and 2002 seperately.

I use proc sgplot data = mydata;

vbox 1985;

run;

and I do that for the other years as well, I am attempting to get box plots for all 3 years in the same axis or the same graph. 

I have tried proc sgpanel as well as proc box plot with no luck. 

I am not sure if I need to perhaps combine the 3 variables into 1 category or group and then do a paneled box plot. 

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Transpose your data so you can specify the CATEGORY=YEAR. 

Post what your code looks like if you're having issues.

Here's an example that's broader than yours:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/datavisualization/yourGraphs/analyticalQuick/vbox/#s1=1

The SASHELP.CARS data set is available on almost all SAS installations.  

@Steelz91 wrote:

state 1985 1996 2002

etc. 

vbox 1985;

run;

and I do that for the other years as well, I am attempting to get box plots for all 3 years in the same axis or the same graph. 

I am not sure if I need to perhaps combine the 3 variables into 1 category or group and then do a paneled box plot. 

Steelz91
Calcite | Level 5

@Reeza wrote:

Post what your code looks like if you're having issues.

Here's an example that's broader than yours:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/datavisualization/yourGraphs/analyticalQuick/vbox/#s1=1

The SASHELP.CARS data set is available on almost all SAS installations.  

@Steelz91 wrote:

state 1985 1996 2002

etc. 

vbox 1985;

run;

My current code looks like this

proc import datafile="/folders/myfolders/sasuser.v94/ex3-10.xlsx"

out=mydata dbms=xlsx replace;
run;

title "Box Plot";
proc sgpanel data = mydata;
panelby _1985 _1996 _2002;
vbox year;

*I put year because thats how I think I would get the 3 seperate boxplots but variable is not valid since I cannot get the three columns to be taken as year;

run;

I have also included the dataset that I was given

Reeza
Super User

You can use PROC TRANSPOSE to transform your data.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=proc&docsetVersion=9.4&docsetTarget=n01rzqgzs8vq1bn10h1wtx914...

You don't need SGPANEL, unless you want it panelled. I'm unsure if you're looking for a single graph with three boxes or something else now. 

@Steelz91 wrote:

*I put year because thats how I think I would get the 3 seperate boxplots but variable is not valid since I cannot get the three columns to be taken as year;

I think you're not understanding how the PANELBY is created, but I may also not be understanding what you want. Since this is a graph question, I'll move it to the graph forum. The SAS graph staff is great at answering questions.

Steelz91
Calcite | Level 5

@Reeza wrote:

You can use PROC TRANSPOSE to transform your data.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=proc&docsetVersion=9.4&docsetTarget=n01rzqgzs8vq1bn10h1wtx914...

You don't need SGPANEL, unless you want it panelled. I'm unsure if you're looking for a single graph with three boxes or something else now. 

@Steelz91 wrote:

I think you're not understanding how the PANELBY is created, but I may also not be understanding what you want. Since this is a graph question, I'll move it to the graph forum. The SAS graph staff is great at answering questions.

Okay thank you, yeah I want it all on a single graph. I kept googling how to do it and I kept getting the Panelby syntax popping up so I figured maybe they were using that and combining the graph. 

Reeza
Super User

Check the link I included in my first post. It's probably almost exactly what you want.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation