BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Soha
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I am a new user to SAS/GRAPH. I have a requirement where I need to plot variables X and variable Y. The values in variable X are something like 400, 92345, 96457, 97876, 99876, 100456 etc etc..... Now when I use the normal SAS code the horizontal x axis is drawn to scale i.e I get a huge space between the first datapoint and the 2nd datapoint and the remaining datapoints are very close to each other. I need the chart in such a way that only the values of the datapoints are plotted and all of them are equally spaced ( Just like how we get when using Excel spreadhseet). Any help will be greatly apperciated.

Thanks
Sohail
7 REPLIES 7
Soha
Calcite | Level 5
Sorry about the confusing Subject line. It should read "What should I do when I do not want the axis to be drawn to scale"
RickM
Fluorite | Level 6
You could do something like creating an index variable that goes from 1 to n to replace x and then in an axis statement use the value= option to specify the major tick marks as the actual x-values. This is a bit tedious and involves a bit of hard coding but if the data set is relatively small and this is a one time graph it may be a good enough quick fix.

Annotated data sets would probably be better but I don't know much about how to use them.
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14
Here's a slight variation of what RickM was suggesting - except rather than hard-coding all the axis values, I create a data-driven user-defined format (on-the-fly). Hard-coding all the values is a bit cumbersome, and if your data changes then the hard-coded values are incorrect, which could compromise the data integrity of the graph.

data a;
input x y;
datalines;
400 2
92345 3
96457 2
97876 4
99876 3
100456 3
;
run;

data a; set a;
data_order=_n_;
run;

data control; set a (rename = ( data_order=start x=label));
fmtname = 'my_fmt';
type = 'N';
end = START;
run;
proc format lib=work cntlin=control;
run;

symbol1 value=dot height=3 interpol=join color=red;

axis1 minor=none offset=(3,3);
axis2 label=('X') minor=none offset=(3,3);

proc gplot data=a;
format data_order my_fmt.;
plot y*data_order / vaxis=axis1 haxis=axis2;
run;
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
A simpler method for those of use with no access to the SG procs, would be to make X a character. Notice that numeric format COMMA is right justified so values have the correct order.

[pre]
data a;
input x y;
cx = put(x,comma10.);
datalines;
400 2
92345 3
96457 2
97876 4
99876 3
100456 3
;
run;

proc gplot;
plot y * cx;
run;
quit;
[/pre]
Bill
Quartz | Level 8
Robert;

A nice trick, but a problem graph results. The integrity of the x axis is compromised - in the same way as when bars don't start at zero. I'm not a proponent of a broken scale, but this might be a use for one. Either that or leave out the 400 point and just post a note about it. And then the most important question - is this even the correct display mechanism for the data at hand?
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ
If you are using SAS 9.2, another option is to use PROC SGPLOT and set the axis type to be discrete:

proc sgplot data=whatever;
xaxis type=discrete;
series x=numvar1 y=numvar2;
run;

--Dan
Soha
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks a lot everyone. I too changed it to character and it worked as I wanted. Thanks for the help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation