BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
stygian
Calcite | Level 5

So I have tried a number of ways to get a vector image from some gtl code using ODS statements.  It runs fine and creates a chart in any file format I tell it to.  The problem is the (very unhelpful) image dump into a vector file.  Emf, pdf, sasemf, wmf all render the same way: my chart as a raster image embedded in the otherwise empty vector file! :smileyangry:

So how do I get SAS9.2 to output a vector file and not a vector file with a raster image embedded in it?

System specs:

Windows 7 64-bit (fully patched).

SAS 9.2 TS Level 2M0

W32_VSPro

Thanks,

Adrian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

All SAS 9.2 ODS Graphics creates raster output.  It is exactly as you say, an image file embedded in a PDF or EMF file.  True scaled vector output is not supported at SAS 9.2.  This was addressed with SAS 9.3, where PDF, PS and EMF graphs now contain true vector graphics with following exception.

When the graph contains gradient colors or 3D plots they still contain an image.  EMF does not support transparencies.  So, for EMF, we fall back to image output if the graph contains transparent plots.   Some of these issues will be addressed in the next release.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Might help to show how you generated your files.

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

All SAS 9.2 ODS Graphics creates raster output.  It is exactly as you say, an image file embedded in a PDF or EMF file.  True scaled vector output is not supported at SAS 9.2.  This was addressed with SAS 9.3, where PDF, PS and EMF graphs now contain true vector graphics with following exception.

When the graph contains gradient colors or 3D plots they still contain an image.  EMF does not support transparencies.  So, for EMF, we fall back to image output if the graph contains transparent plots.   Some of these issues will be addressed in the next release.

stygian
Calcite | Level 5

Crap.  I was afraid of that.  My work place isn't rolling out 9.3 until summer. Smiley Sad

Nothing to do but wait.  Thanks Sanjay.

DDX
Calcite | Level 5 DDX
Calcite | Level 5

Just to clarify, there is no way to get a EMF image with transparencies in SAS 9.3?

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

For SAS 9.3, no. That is because the standard EMF format does not support alpha channels. However, in SAS 9.4, we will be using the EMF Plus format, which does support alpha channels.

DDX
Calcite | Level 5 DDX
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Dan! I really appreciate it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation