BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Zachary
Obsidian | Level 7

I have been searching for a long time for the correct code to do this, but I have not found it yet. I have n = 20,000 cases. I have already sorted the order of the data by RESERVE from low to high. Basically I would like to see how all 20,000 records distribute with either the count or the % on the y-axis. No need for another variable. Sort of a very big histogram turned into a line graph.

Then, to add a little complexity to it, I would like to mark a few points on the graph. Currently my RESERVE variable goes from 100 to about 5 million. But it would be nice if I could denote where 100,000 is, or where 20,000 is in my distribution.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

You might want to consider using a kernel density estimate instead of a histogram. Run these two programs and compare the output:

proc sgplot data=sashelp.heart;

histogram weight;

run;

density weight / type=kernel scale=percent;

run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

You might want to consider using a kernel density estimate instead of a histogram. Run these two programs and compare the output:

histogram weight;

run;

density weight / type=kernel scale=percent;

run;

Zachary
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much Dan. Unfortunately my data is a bit on the side of being "super skewed." So I use the following code to graph it when I break my full distribution into 100 bins. The graph is much more healthy looking. Any suggestions on how to get markers in here to denote particular breaks in the distribution?

proc rank data = CLAIMS_DATA out = CLAIMS_DATA groups = 100;
   var TRENDED_INCURRED;
   ranks B_TRENDED_INCURRED;
run;

ods output "Summary statistics"=STATS;
proc means data = CLAIMS_DATA mean;
  var TRENDED_INCURRED;
  class B_TRENDED_INCURRED;
run;
quit;
ods output close;

proc sgplot data = STATS;
  series x = B_TRENDED_INCURRED Y = TRENDED_INCURRED_Mean;
run;

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

You could put those break points in a separate data set and merge it back into the original. Then, just add a scatter overlay to your series plot referencing  those two columns.

Zachary
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. Feel free to send along the code to accomplish this, if you wish. I have never even remotely tried to pull something like that off.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 2 in conversation