BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Hello,

In ODS graphics, does anyone know a visual trick to make text more visible over a patterned background such as a map or a set of bars? One thing I already tried was to superimpose dark text in a normal font over the same text in white bold, but the characters didnt align properly.

PG

PG
6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

In traditional SAS Graph the option was usually CBACK (= white) with text displays such as annotate or data label options. I haven't tried to annotate any ODS graphics yet so I'm not sure if that works.

It looks like the style element involved is GraphDataText but it seems to only have a COLOR attribute, not a background color in the online help. I'd try specifing a CONTRASTCOLOR with that element to see if that worked but just a gues.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

If you have SAS 9.3, the DRAWTEXT statement in GTL or the SG annotation facility in the SG procedures do support background color for text. Therefore, your annotation suggestion should work fine.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Hi Dan,

I don't see how I could get lettering such as "Woodland Acres" on this picture :

SAS on Google Earth.png
  overprinting normal and bold text doesn't work because the spacing between letters is not the same.

PG

PG
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

In traditional SAS/Graph, I have accomplished a similar (although not perfect) text effect by annotating overlapping swissb and swissbe SAS/Graph software font letters:

http://robslink.com/SAS/democd14/rise.htm

http://robslink.com/SAS/democd14/rise_info.htm

ballardw
Super User

Your map example looks like you might want an OUTLINE font.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Well, I need two fonts with exactly the same metrics; I would write with the heavier one first and overwrite with the thinner one. I thought someone might know of such a pair. So far, came up the closest to my wish, but with all due respect, I don't feel like going bach to the '80s vector fonts.

Unless you can apply a FILL color to an outline font?

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation