BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jteres
Obsidian | Level 7

After seeing Sanjay Matange's presentation of "Up Your Game with Graph Template Language Layouts" at SGF 2014, I decided to try to make a variation on the BLOCKPLOT with SERIESPLOT overlay from here: SAS(R) 9.3 Graph Template Language: Reference, Third Edition.

I added the Macintosh OS releases as a POC because in my real work life, I sometimes have overlapping temporal events, so I wanted to have multiple views of BLOCKS.

I have tried pasting code into here from EG but it isn't working well, and using Word as an staging clipboard doesn't help. Basically, I made a separate data set for Apple version release dates and merged it onto the STOCKS data set (i had to wiggle some of the dates to get it to merge well).

Then I did:

proc template ;

define statgraph ;

layout overlay ;

layout lattice / rows = 2 columns = 1 ;

[2 block plots]

end layout ;

series plot x = date y = close ;

end layout ;

end ;

run ;

It did NOT work. I got this warning:

WARNING: SERIESPLOT statement has a conflict with the axis type. The plot will not be drawn.

I tried to put close on the secondary YAXIS, and that doesn't give me any errors or warnings, but the series plot doesn't show up. The envelope simply refuses to be pushed any farther!

Is this a hopeless cause?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

It is not clear what you are trying to do.  Can you attach a sketch or image.  You can certainly do this from your program.  You can overlay plots in one overlay container, but not across cells of a lattice.  Is this what you want?

Overlay.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

It is not clear what you are trying to do.  You say you want to overlay a SERIES on a BLOCK.   That in itself not a problem, as shown in the example you are referencing.  It is not clear why you have nested a LATTICE inside the OVELAY.   Also, you do not provide information on the data or the block plot settings.  It is easier to help if you attach full working program with data.

jteres
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry for the delay in responding. I thought I would get a notification if anyone responded in this thread.

Here's the full code. I'm sorry it's not formatted but I had to use a plain text editor to get it to paste here without lots of extra line breaks.

data MSevents ;
     input Date date9. MRelease $5. ;
     label MRelease = "Windows Release" ;
     datalines ;
01jun1990 3.0
01sep1995 95
01jul1998 98
01mar2000 2000
01nov2001 XP
;
run ;       

data AppleEvents ;
     input Date date9. ARelease $5. ;
     label ARelease = "Apple Release" ;
     datalines ;
01may1991 OS 7
01aug1997 OS 8
01nov1999 OS 9
02apr2001 OS X
;
run ;

proc sql ;
     create table Events as
     select    distinct d.date format = mmddyy10.,
               MRelease,
               ARelease
     from     (select    date
               from      MSEvents
               union all
               select    date
               from      AppleEvents) as d
               left join
               MSEvents as ms
                    on   d.date eq ms.date
               left join
               AppleEvents as a
                    on   d.date eq a.date ;
quit ;        

data MSevents ;
     input Date date9. Release $5. ;
     label Release = "Windows Release" ;
     datalines ;
01jun1990 3.0
01sep1995 95
01jul1998 98
01mar2000 2000
01nov2001 XP
01nov2002
;
run ;

proc sort data = sashelp.stocks (keep = date stock close)
     out = MSstock ;
     where stock = "Microsoft" ; 
     by date ;
run ;

data Stock_Events ;
     merge MSstock Events ;
     by date ;
run ;

proc template ;
     define StatGraph LayerBlock2 ;
          BeginGraph ;
               Layout Overlay /    xaxisopts      = (timeopts = (interval = month))
                                   y2axisopts     = (linearopts = (viewmin = 0 viewmax = 500)) ;

Layout Lattice / rows = 2 columns = 1 ;

BlockPlot x         = date
                                   block     = mrelease /   DataTransparency    = .7    
                                                            Display             = (fill)
                                                            ExtendBlockOnMissing= true ;

BlockPlot x         = date
                                   block     = arelease /   DataTransparency    = .7    
                                                            Display             = (fill)
                                                            ExtendBlockOnMissing= true ;
                    EndLayout ;

SeriesPlot     x = date
                                   y = close /*/yaxis = y2*/ ; 
               EndLayout ;
          EndGraph ;
     end ;
run ;

proc sgrender data = Stock_Events template = LayerBlock2 ;
run ;

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

It is not clear what you are trying to do.  Can you attach a sketch or image.  You can certainly do this from your program.  You can overlay plots in one overlay container, but not across cells of a lattice.  Is this what you want?

Overlay.png

jteres
Obsidian | Level 7

Sanjay-

Thanks. I wanted to try to overlay a plot across the cells of the lattice. So it'd be like what you have, but only one series plot.

Back to the drawing board, then.

Thanks,

Jed

ballardw
Super User

Also you might check your data types used in your series. The warning makes me suspect that possibly one of your variables is character where the proc is expecting numeric.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation