BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have a scatterplot with mostly positive data, but some negative Y values. I want to distinguish between the positive and negative values. I'm currently drawing the axes with a refline statement at 0.

One option would be to have the x-axis labels next to this refline - emphasising that this where the x-axis lies. Can this be done?

Another would be to shade the positive area different from the negative area (sounds more difficult).

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

This can also be done with band plots when you know the range of your data.

data example;
do t=1 to 50;
   x=ranuni(123);
   if (t <= 25) then
      y = -ranuni(456);
   else
      y = ranuni(456);
   output;
end;
run;

proc sgplot data=example;
band x=x upper=1 lower=0 / fillattrs=(color=yellow);
band x=x upper=0 lower=-1 / fillattrs=(color=lavender);
refline 0 / lineattrs=(thickness=3);
scatter x=x y=y;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

Could you mock up a quick picture to explain what it looks like.  Normally you would have xaxis and yaxis defined by those statements in you sgplot call, they then have options to control where labels go and such like.  There would then be the four quadrants which highlight where the data fall.  Have you removed the axis lines and are trying to draw them yourself?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can use the BLOCK statement in PROC SGPLOT to make the background of the positive and negative regions different shades of gray (or color).  I have an example in the article "Overlay categories on a histogram," which you ought to be able to modify for your case.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

This can also be done with band plots when you know the range of your data.

data example;
do t=1 to 50;
   x=ranuni(123);
   if (t <= 25) then
      y = -ranuni(456);
   else
      y = ranuni(456);
   output;
end;
run;

proc sgplot data=example;
band x=x upper=1 lower=0 / fillattrs=(color=yellow);
band x=x upper=0 lower=-1 / fillattrs=(color=lavender);
refline 0 / lineattrs=(thickness=3);
scatter x=x y=y;
run;
BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for the suggestions. The band option handles the shading issue well. But here is my output so far. I'm actually trying to represent the values of three variables: M on the x-axis, T on the y-axis and D=M+T - represented by the diagonal contours. (The points are different countries).  Having the x-axis labels at the bottom is confusing if you are trying to read of the values of D (you need to read them off where the line crosses the x-axis).

Capture.PNG

BruceBrad
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I think I've settled on the below as my solution. Moving the axis labels up to the x-axis would be too cluttered. Thanks for the 'band' suggestion. (I didn't test the 'block' suggestion) (The lineparam statement is how I plot the contour lines).

proc sgplot noautolegend aspect=1;
  band x=M upper=0 lower=-0.1 / transparency=0.8 fillattrs=(color=grey);
  scatter x=M y=T /datalabel=ID markerattrs=(size=10) ;
  lineparm x=x y=y slope=slope ;
  xaxis grid max=0.6 offsetmin=0 ;
  yaxis grid min=-0.1 max=0.5 offsetmin=0 values=(-0.1 to 0.5 by 0.1) 
        Label = "T (also D = M+T diagonally)" labelpos=top;
  refline 0 /axis=x ;
  refline 0 /axis=y ;
run;

This produces

Capture.PNG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation