BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Steffenhaldrup
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all.

Isn't is possible to create a histogram/density in SGPLOT with data created in Proc Freq? I have data similar to this;

x y
1 0.10
2 0.20
3 0.30
4 0.20
5 0.15
6 0.05

So, I need six bars and a density plot - but it seems impossible for me to do it.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

If you have already computed the frequencies for each bin, you can use the GTL HistogramParm statement.  But that statement is not available in SGPLOT.  However, you can use the VBARPARM statement to create a histogram-like plot.   

proc sgplot data=hist;
vbarparm category=x response=y / barwidth=1;
run;

Hist_Vbarparm.png

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you used PROC FREQ to tabulate the percentages, then presumably you are treating the data as discrete. As Sanjay points out, use a bar chart for discrete data.

However, if you want to use pre-tabulated data to create a histogram, you can do it but you need COUNTS rather than PERCENTAGES. PROC FREQ outputs counts, or if you know the total sample size you can create the counts, as follows;

data A;
N = 100;
input x y;
count = N*y;  /* create counts from percentages */
datalines;
1 0.10
2 0.20
3 0.30
4 0.20
5 0.15
6 0.05
;

proc sgplot data=A;
histogram x / freq=count binwidth=1;
density x / freq=count type=kernel;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation