BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am using both GPLOT and GMAP to create *.gif files in SAS. I would like to control the naming conventions for these files and not be stuck with the default name (e.g. gplot14. gif, gmap5.gif) because I have trouble identifying the correct graphic when I create large numbers of these files.

Two items would be helpful.

First, how do I change the default filename body to something other than gmap or gplot? I would like to identify the contents with meaningful names.

Second, how do I restart the numbering scheme? When I am debugging my programs, the numbers keep incrementing even though I delete the files. I would like to be able to reset the numbers to start over. At this point, I can only reset the number by exiting PC SAS.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14
You can control the gif/png file name of traditional SAS/Graph procs by using the "name=" option in the proc. This controls the name of the grseg, and that name is also used as the name of the gif/png file.

In v9.2, you can use the value of the "by" variable as part of the name, and v9.2 also supports >8 characters for the name of the gif/png specified here! 🙂

If deleting all the grsegs is not re-setting the name auto-increment, I would suggest starting a new SAS session each time - I always run my SAS jobs in batch, so that each time it is a fresh invocation, and therefore I don't have to worry about deleting grsegs to reset the name auto-incrementing, etc. (ymmv!)

Below is a v9.2 example that demonstrates using the by-variable to control the png file name:

%let name=map066;
filename odsout '.';

data my_data;
st='NC'; output;
st='SC'; output;
st='VA'; output;
run;

data my_map; set maps.us;
st=fipstate(state);
run;

GOPTIONS DEVICE=png;
ODS LISTING CLOSE;
ODS HTML path=odsout body="&name..htm";

title "This state is #byval(st)";

proc gmap map=my_map data=my_data all;
by st;
id st;
choro st / levels=1
coutline=gray nolegend
des="" name="&name._#byval(st)";
run;

quit;
ODS HTML CLOSE;
ODS LISTING;
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks so much for your help. I was able to make significant progress in resolving my problems.

One of the things that I learned along the way was how to clean up after creating graphs so that the numbering schema did not plague my code. The process involved PROC CATALOG:

PROC CATALOG CAT=WORK.Gseg ET=Grseg;
DELETE &fname1 &fname2;
QUIT;

PROC CATALOG CAT=WORK.Html ET=Grseg;
DELETE &fname1 &fname2;
QUIT;

The files that I created are deleted within a macro:

X "DEL &_dir\&fname1..htm"; X "DEL &_dir\&fname2..htm";
X "DEL &_dir\&fname1..gif"; X "DEL &_dir\&fname2..gif";

The macro itself iterates through the list of files.

Stephen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation