BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Arsenio_Staer
Calcite | Level 5
Dear all,

I'm desperate. Basically, JRE 6 upd 14 for 32 bits, with SAS 9.2 32 bits on Win 7 64 bits do not produce ODS gfx.
Error below:
ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or
system administrator.

there is another error about unable to attach a thread or smth.

Tried pretty much everything, checking sassw.config and sasv9.cfg checking and rechecking JRE options in them. Deleting all JRe versions from pc with JAVARA and then reinstalling JRE 6.14 and reinstalling SAS with -forcerjeprompt. Been in touch with SAS tech support who has been helpful. Installed a fresh win 7 64 bits on the laptop and installed SAS on it first thing, still the same error. I'm pretty stuck. I'm not afraid of tinkering with code and IT but this has consumed an inordinate amount of time. All other JRE stuff works ok, like Eclipse and what not.

Any idea??

Thanks,

Arsenio
6 REPLIES 6
PrashantH_sas
SAS Employee
Hi Arsenio,

Your problem seems to be a setup issue. This forum is not the best medium to address that and you are doing the right thing by going through Tech Support.

With Regards,
-Prashant
Dorota_Jarosz
Obsidian | Level 7
Have you tried re-installing SAS with default JRE 5.12? Message was edited by: Dorota_Jarosz
Paul_Kent_SAS
SAS Employee
We think we were able to resolve this issue for the original poster.

The Java binaries were installed in a directory path that contained spaces and other characters like "-"; Java isn't very sophisticated regarding this.

changing the sasv9.cfg file from:

-SET sasroot "C:\Utils - Finance\SAS\SASFoundation\9.2(32-bit)"

to:

-SET sasroot "C:\UTF7FE~1\SAS\SASFOU~1\92120~1.2(3"

resolved the issue. SAS Technical Support can help you determine the correct MS-DOS "shortname" for a filename that contains spaces and other reserved characters... The shortnames typically contain ~ and some digit thereafter.
bill0101
Calcite | Level 5

Disclaimer: Non-professional opinion. Use at your own risk.

Editing sasv9.cfg works for mine after manually changing all the paths containing "Program Files" or "jre1.6.0_24" to their 8.3 names.

1.Open your sasv9.cfg file under "<your SASHome directory>\SASFoundation\9.3\nls\<your language>"  with Notepad

for instance, C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.3\nls\en\sasv9.cfg

Of course, backup before editing.

2.Open command prompt window with admin privilege.

3.For each path containing "Program Files" or "jre1.6.0_24" (or other suspicious non-8.3 directory names you would try), type command

dir/x

under its parent directory to obtain its 8.3 name.

For instance, type dir/x under C:> to obtain the 8.3 name of "C:\Program Files"

4.If the 8.3 name does not exist, manually create it using the command

fsutil file setshortname <"complete path name"> <short name>

For instance,

fsutil file setshortname "C:\Program Files (x86)" PROGRA~2

fsutil file setshortname "C:\PROGRA~2\Java\jre1.6.0_24"  JRE160~1

This works for my SAS 9.3 TS1M2 + Win7 x64 Enterprise. After maneuvering around sasv9.cfg I finally have my proc reg working. I hope this helps.

pawel_hoffner
Calcite | Level 5

I have similar problem as Arsenio.

In EG when I try execute Linear Regression by PROC REQ occuring ERROR:

ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or

system administrator.

Truly I did my best, searching Internet, changed lines in sasv9.cfg in my language directory as well as rest of SAS/SASFoundation/9.2(32-bit) directories.

Also tried to use older verison od JRE

Reeza
Super User

As indicated above, its best to work with Tech Support on such an issue.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation