BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to create a stacked bar chart with proc template and sgrender

but the variable that i want on the top part of the stack will only work on the bottom: 

i have

barchart x=a y=b

barchart x=a y= c

I want it to be c on top but it only works with b on top.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

I was able to figure it out where I could have total of c+b as the first y variable, and then b on the bottom as the second variable.

in proc template

xaxis

yaxia

barchart x= y=total

barchart x= y=bottomamount

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
ballardw
Super User

show your entire code and some example data to show the result you get and hopefully some way to show what you want to get (image is fine PNG, GIF what ever, Excel not so fine)

Order of statements in the template, order of data and data values may have some pretty complex interactions.

emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

Proc template;
define statgraph Graph;
begingraph;
layout overlay/
xaxisopts=(name = 'bin_label' label='a' labelattrs=(size=12pt weight=bold)tickvalueattrs=(size=10))
yaxisopts=(name = 'b' label='b' linearopts=(tickvalueformat=comma8.) labelattrs=(size=12pt weight=bold)tickvalueattrs=(size=10))
y2axisopts=(name='pct_row' label='c' labelattrs=(size=12pt weight=bold)tickvalueattrs=(size=10));
barchart x= a. y=b/ fillattrs=(color=lightgreen) name='data1'  barwidth=0.65 barlabelattrs=(size=10pt);
barchart x= a y=c / fillattrs=(color=gold) name='data2'' barwidth=0.65 barlabelattrs=(size=10pt );

ballardw
Super User

data is?

Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

And the sgrender code used is?

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

While you say "Stacked" bar chart, you are showing code that will generate "Overlaid" bars.  Since y=c is specified later, it will be drawn later, overlaid on the y=b bar.  The bar charts are drawn in the order you specify them.  If you want y=b layered on top, put it later in the code.

This bar chart is not "Stacked".  To get a stacked bar chart, use the GROUP option.  The group values will be stacked by default.  To get side-by-side bars, use GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER.  

emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, but the variables are really able to be grouped. they are two separate columns

Reeza
Super User

IMO it's easier to restructure data than to modify a template. 

@emcw wrote:

Thanks, but the variables are really able to be grouped. they are two separate columns

ballardw
Super User

Are you trying to stack C on top of B in the same bar?

DATA PLEASE.

emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes that's right. Id prefer not to share the data

Reeza
Super User

@emcw wrote:

Yes that's right. Id prefer not to share the data

MAKE FAKE DATA. We don't need real data, just data that looks like what your is and can mimic it. We all have confidential information. 

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Unlike Excel, two separate columns cannot be stacked in GTL or SGPLOT. You can place them side by side using DISCRETEOFFSET. To stack the values, you have to change the structure, and convert the 2-column data into a group and response data.    You can use PROC TRANSPOSE, or just Data Step as below.

data b;

set a;

keep a Group Value;

Group='B'; Value=b; output;

Group='C'; Value=c; output;

run;

emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

The group won't work because I need the count.

for example

c=4,9,5,8

b=2,1,3,2

with b on top, the one with lower value.

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

It would be easier and faster to help if you include a picture of what you want, and your code with a (fake) data set (in code).  Which release of SAS are you using?

emcw
Fluorite | Level 6

somthing like this.

with c=4,5,7,8

b=2,1,3,1

i was thinking i could have totalbc as a new variable, then group=c, group=b but the grouping isn't working

Capture.PNG
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

See this article on how to create such a graph.  The data needs to be in "Grouped" form as in SASHELP.PRDSALE.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation