BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
morglum
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS,

I am a total newbie to Proc GMAP and GIS in general.  I am trying to create some maps of Canada at the Province (PR), Census Division (CD), Census Subdivision (CSD) and Dissemination Area (DA) levels.  I would also like to add a population ecumene layer on top of the map in order to mask the unpopulated areas

The province map provided in SAS is outdated by almost 2 decades as it doesnt include the territory of Nunavut, created in 1999.  However, one can download the Cartography Boundary Files (CBF) from Statistics Canada

I have managed to import, project and map the Province/Territories data and have a satisfying result.  However, I get weird connecting lines when trying to map the imported "Population Ecumene" file.  The results are below.  Note the horizontal lines in the north west territories and through the Hudson Bay.

My code is shared below the images.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My follow up question is as follow: I would like to have a map of the provinces, but blank out all the area where ECUMEN="0".

Cheers,

Simon

pridu.pngecumene.png

libname temp "c:\TEMP";

proc mapimport

out=temp.Ecu_nonproj

datafile="C:\maps\cBf\gecu000e11a_e\gecu000e11a_e.shp";

id ecuid;

run;

proc gproject data=temp.ecu_nonproj out=temp.ECU_proj eastlong deg

project=lambert;

id ecuid;

run;

goptions reset=all;

ods html path="C:\temp";

proc gmap data=temp.ECU_proj map=temp.ECU_proj;

id ecuid;

choro ecumene;

run;

quit;

ods html close;

*************************************;

proc mapimport

out=temp.prov_nonproj

datafile=""C:\Tmaps\cBf\gpr_000b11a_f\gpr_000b11a_f.shp";

id pridu;

run;

proc gproject data=temp.prov_nonproj out=temp.prov_proj eastlong deg

project=lambert;

id pridu;

run;

goptions reset=all;

proc gmap data=temp.prov_proj map=temp.prov_proj;

id pridu;

choro pridu;

run;

quit;

ods html close;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Looks like you're doing everything correctly!

I downloaded your code, and the shape files, and was able to reproduce the "stray line" problem you were seeing. I reproduced it in SAS versions 9.2, 9.3, and 9.4, and the "work around" suggested by the gmap developers was to reduce the number of points used in the map (see Proc Greduce).

In releast 9.4-maintenance-1, the problem appears to have been fixed by our R&D group in China (internal tracking number S0905829, if you happen to be working with Tech Support on problems related to this). I ran your code using that release, and it came out clean, with no stray lines:

canada1.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Looks like you're doing everything correctly!

I downloaded your code, and the shape files, and was able to reproduce the "stray line" problem you were seeing. I reproduced it in SAS versions 9.2, 9.3, and 9.4, and the "work around" suggested by the gmap developers was to reduce the number of points used in the map (see Proc Greduce).

In releast 9.4-maintenance-1, the problem appears to have been fixed by our R&D group in China (internal tracking number S0905829, if you happen to be working with Tech Support on problems related to this). I ran your code using that release, and it came out clean, with no stray lines:

canada1.png

morglum
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Robert,

The speed and depth of your reply was definitely *way* above what I was hoping for and I had to show it to everyone within earshot.  I talk very loud, too.  Proc GREDUCE solved the issue stray line issue and I believe the cost of the islands up north actually look better.  Thanks.

I'm afraid this will bring up another issue since I am trying to overlap two maps and  that running GREDUCE might mean that the  GREDUCED ecumene layer won't overlap perfectly with the province layer  when trying to mask non-populated areas.

density less than2.pngdensity less than3.png

For anyone interested, here is my latest code for the ECUMENE part  with the added Proc GREDUCE.

libname temp "c:\TEMP";

proc mapimport

out=temp.Ecu_nonproj

datafile="c:\maps\cBf\gecu000e11a_e\gecu000e11a_e.shp";

id ecuid;

run;

proc gproject data=temp.ecu_nonproj out=temp.ECU_proj eastlong deg

project=lambert;

id ecuid;

run;

proc greduce data= temp.Ecu_proj  out= temp.Ecu_greduce;

id ecuid;

run;

goptions reset=all;

proc gmap data=temp.Ecu_greduce(where=(density<2)) map=temp.Ecu_greduce(where=(density<2));

id ecuid;

choro ecumene;

title "ECU density<2";

run;

quit;

proc gmap data=temp.Ecu_greduce(where=(density<3)) map=temp.Ecu_greduce(where=(density<3));

id ecuid;

choro ecumene;

title "ECU density<3";

run;

quit;

proc gmap data=temp.Ecu_greduce(where=(density<4)) map=temp.Ecu_greduce(where=(density<4));

id ecuid;

choro ecumene;

title "ECU density<4";

run;

quit;

ods html close;

Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

Regarding the MAPS being too old, you should be using MAPSGFK instead.

MAPS are old and cannot change.

MAPSGFK are new and are supported by GfK GeoMarketing.  We ship the maps when they are shipped to us.

These maps are not completely compatible with MAPS.  For example, for Canada:

proc sort data=mapsgfk.canada out=smymap;

by id1 id; run;

proc gremove data=smymap out=mymap;

by id1; id id; run;

data mymap (drop=id1);

set mymap; id=id1; run;

proc gmap data=mymap map=mymap;

id id; choro id / nolegend; run;

morglum
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the post.  I dont have SAS 9.4 yet but will make sure to give this a look when I do have ...  Then again, I doubt they have the geography I need, and the province map is the only one that was working flawlessly Smiley Happy

Googling for MAPSGFK led me to Robert's page about What's new in SAS GRAPH 9.4

and I can't wait to try these things

cheers

Simon

Darrell_sas
SAS Employee

Simon,

MAPSGFK is there as long as you have SAS 9.3m1 or greater.

And you can load the latest maps from MapsOnLine  (http://support.sas.com/mapsonline).

Darrell

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation