BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jaco
Calcite | Level 5

Greetings.

I am quite new in SAS and I have been struggling to change the display of my boxplots from colored to filled patterns in the following codes:

I am using SAS 9.3. Please help me as I have tried everything possible to include the pattern fill attributes in the above code but I keep getting warnings and yet nothing changed!I prefer to differentiate the four group boxplots using fill patterns instead of colors. Please what adjustment do I need to make in the above code to actualize this?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Regards,

Jaco

6 REPLIES 6
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Fill patterns are not supported for BoxPlot.

You can get empty boxes with different line patterns for the box.

If your data has groups (instead of 4 separate columns), you can use GROUP= .

Jaco
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Sanjay@SAS for your swift reply. However, I am a bit confused on how I can use the GROUP= as I am still a newbie in SAS. Could you please elaborate further on how to actualize the empty boxplots with different line patterns, if you don't mind? I have attached the data I used to create the boxplots and the above codes worked pretty on them. The only thing I need is to change the default colors to fill patterns or empty boxes with line patterns. Please kindly help me.

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

ods listing style=journal;

proc sgplot data=sashelp.cars(where=(type ne 'Hybrid'));

vbox mpg_city / category=Origin group=type nofill;

run;

Jaco
Calcite | Level 5

Many thanks, Sanjay. I have just tried to incorporate vbox mpg_city / category=Origin group=type nofill into the code, but it seems I would only have empty boxes. Please how would I differentiate them with line patterns as you mentioned above? The graphs will be printed in black and white and therefore, colors are not allowed! Please help me. I am only a newbie and my level of understanding is quite low.

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Each box in the graph uses a different line pattern for the box and the whisker by group.

BoxPlotEmpty.png

Maybe you can also use gray scale fill.

ods listing style=journal;

proc sgplot data=sashelp.cars(where=(type ne 'Hybrid'));

vbox mpg_city / category=Origin group=type lineattrs=(pattern=solid)

whiskerattrs=(pattern=solid);

run;

BoxPlotFill.png

Jaco
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Sanjay for taking your time to help me. I sincerely appreciate it!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation