BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

Greetings,

I would like to create a map that looks like a sliced pie face (8 pieces with cut-lines at specified positions) and each pie slice colored to represent a count. I do not want a pie-chart in which pie slice area represent relative count information. Rather, the pie face represents a sampling grid (a map) in which I want color to represent frequency of sampling within each site. I've not done this before and could use your help to point me in the right direction with procedure selection and application.

Thank you,

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bill
Quartz | Level 8

Das;

A bar chart (V or H) is much easier to understand than a spider/radar chart.  (http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/dmreview/radar_graphs.pdf).

Take a look at what I've included below. Notice too, that a value zero can be displayed and, for goat at position 5 is very obvious!

data bx_position ;                                                                                                                     

input specie $ position count ;                                                                                                       

datalines;                                                                                                                            

goat 1 1                                                                                                                              

goat 2 5                                                                                                                              

goat 3 65                                                                                                                             

goat 4 27                                                                                                                             

goat 5 0                                                                                                                              

goat 6 18                                                                                                                             

goat 7 37                                                                                                                             

goat 8 2                                                                                                                              

sheep 1 1                                                                                                                             

sheep 2 6                                                                                                                             

sheep 3 78                                                                                                                            

sheep 4 32                                                                                                                            

sheep 5 2                                                                                                                             

sheep 6 14                                                                                                                            

sheep 7 45                                                                                                                            

sheep 8 1                                                                                                                             

;                                                                                                                                     

run;                                                                                                                                   

proc gchart;                                                                                                                           

hbar specie/group=position sumvar=count patterid=midpoint;                                                                                               

run; 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

Can you provide an example drawing or other graphic of what you want? I'm not sure I understand and since this relates to pictures the 1:1000 ratio needs some help.

I suspect that an annotate dataset with several PIE statements would generate the pie bits and the colors can be specified at creation. Then additional statements, LABEL perhaps could place text.

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

Here are two possibilities. I suspect the first is the simplest and would suffice. The numbers are the frequency on which color choice and/or shading would depend.

DAS28a-biopsy_sites.jpg

It is actually supposed to be a map of biopsy regions of a tubular organ. So the following would be a more optimal graphic.

DAS28a-biopsy_sites2.jpg

Thanks for all suggestions.

Dave

ballardw
Super User

Something like this may give you enough to get started:

%annomac;

data work.pie;
   %dclanno;
   hsys='3';xsys='3';ysys='3';
   %slice(50,50,0,45,20,red,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,blue,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,orange,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,green,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,pink,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,lightblue,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,gold,PS,both);
   %slice(50,50,.,45,20,lightgreen,PS,both);
run;

proc gslide anno=work.pie;
run;
quit;

If you have add a slice of 360 degrees with a rad of 10 or so and color white at the end of the data I think you'll get the tube.

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. That is very helpful. I was struggling to even get myself to go down this path. I think I can modify this to satisfy my needs. I also started looking at radar/polar graphs as another means to my end.

Dave

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm liking the representation using the proc gradar. Here is an image closing in on something acceptable:

radar68.bmp

Here the vertices correspond to the biopsy position of the tubular organ with position "1" at 12 o'clock high. The problems are that this procedure doesn't seem to map a zero frequency and so I've had to change these to "1" in the count in order for the spoke position to show up in the graph. Suggestions still appreciated. I realize I've gotten away from my original intent on how to graph but still appreciative of any advice.

Here is the code:

data bx_position ;
datalines;
goat 1 1
goat 2 5
goat 3 65
goat 4 27
goat 5 1
goat 6 18
goat 7 37
goat 8 2
sheep 1 1
sheep 2 6
sheep 3 78
sheep 4 32
sheep 5 2
sheep 6 14
sheep 7 45
sheep 8 1

;
run;

proc gradar data=bx_position;
chart position /
  freq=COUNT
  overlay=specie
  startype=wedge
  lstar=1 1 1
  cstar=(red blue black)
  ;
run;
quit;

Bill
Quartz | Level 8

Das;

A bar chart (V or H) is much easier to understand than a spider/radar chart.  (http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/dmreview/radar_graphs.pdf).

Take a look at what I've included below. Notice too, that a value zero can be displayed and, for goat at position 5 is very obvious!

data bx_position ;                                                                                                                     

datalines;                                                                                                                            

goat 1 1                                                                                                                              

goat 2 5                                                                                                                              

goat 3 65                                                                                                                             

goat 4 27                                                                                                                             

goat 5 0                                                                                                                              

goat 6 18                                                                                                                             

goat 7 37                                                                                                                             

goat 8 2                                                                                                                              

sheep 1 1                                                                                                                             

sheep 2 6                                                                                                                             

sheep 3 78                                                                                                                            

sheep 4 32                                                                                                                            

sheep 5 2                                                                                                                             

sheep 6 14                                                                                                                            

sheep 7 45                                                                                                                            

sheep 8 1                                                                                                                             

;                                                                                                                                     

run;                                                                                                                                   

proc gchart;                                                                                                                           

hbar specie/group=position sumvar=count patterid=midpoint;                                                                                               

run; 

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for the input. I remain torn between the simple bar chart versus the original intent to visually map the biopsy frequency to an intuitive cartoon-like map of the tubular organ biopsied. I note that gradar can produce bar-like graphs by choosing the "spoke" formatted chart (see first two images below). However, I think your suggestion but as a vertical bar, in which the order from left-to-right might be enough intuitive orientation, especially if I change the position numbers to their corresponding positions on a clock face (see third image). That'll make left to right sideness intuitive and only lose the intuitiveness of the up versus down positions. But I think I most agree that some form of a bar graph will be the most easily created AND understood. Just got to get the axis straightened out.

Thank you for the suggestion and code example. Very helpful!

Dave

sheep.bmpgoat.bmp

vbar.bmp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation