Data visualization with SAS programming

PROC SGPLOT and its legend

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor n6
Contributor
Accepted Solution

PROC SGPLOT and its legend

I want to do a Y vs X scatterplot and I want to draw a 45 degree angle line on it so the viewer and easily see what points are above or below the diagonal.  Here is my code.

proc sgplot data=dataset;
scatter y=Y_var   x=X_Var;
lineparm x=0 y=0 slope=1 / legendlabel = '1 to 1 Line';
yaxis label = 'Y-axis Label';
xaxis label = 'X-axis Label';
run;

Here's the problem.  In the legend, in addition to labelling the 45 degree line as "1 to 1 line," it also puts the plotting symbol for the points and labels it with the variable name of the variable on the y-axis. So the legend looks like this:

"a circle" Y_var   "a line" 1 to 1 Line

It mystifies me why it would put the first part.  If you plot y vs x then I don't see a need to label the points with the name of the y-axis variable but SAS Help says that that indeed is what it is supposed to do.

But anyway, I looked and looked in the help for the SCATTER statement on how to undo that and couldn't figure it out then I came onto this site found the NOAUTOLEGEND statement.  Okay, that's good, I missed that because I was looking for options for the SCATTER line whereas NOAUTOLEGEND goes on the PROC SGPLOT line.

So I add NOAUTOLEGEND and the problem is that it takes away the legend entrely.  I want the legend to include only the second part, where it says "1 to 1 line" but it seems I get either whole legend including the first part which is unwanted or else I get no legend at all.

Any ideas on how to get a legend with only that second part?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Grand Advisor

Re: PROC SGPLOT and its legend

Add the NAME option to each plot and a KEYLEGEND statement that only references the name of the plot(s) that you want to appear in the legend.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-25-2015 06:23 AM
Grand Advisor

Add the NAME option to each plot and a KEYLEGEND statement that only references the name of the plot(s) that you want to appear in the legend.

Contributor n6
Contributor

Hey, that worked, thanks.  Actually I had already tried the NAME thing but I was usinig it incorrectly but your suggestion led me to try it again and now all is good.  Thanks again.

Contributor n6
Contributor

To be clear to other users, here is the code that successfully produces what I want.

proc sgplot data=dataset;
scatter y=Y_var   x=X_Var;
lineparm x=0 y=0 slope=1 / name='xyz'  legendlabel = '1 to 1 Line';
yaxis label = 'Y-axis Label';
xaxis label = 'X-axis Label';

keylegend 'xyz';
run;

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation