BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SB250
Calcite | Level 5

I've made a series of horizontal grouped (clustered) bar charts with proc sgplot. Is there a way to change the order of the legend? For some reason the legend is in reverse order from what is in the graph and in descending order. I know I can do it the way I want with proc gchart, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to do it with proc sgplot.

SGPlot.png

4 REPLIES 4
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Group values are in data order.  SAS 9.4 SGPLOT supports SORTORDER for legend.  SAS 9.3 SGPLOT does not have this feature.

You have two options.

1 - Put the group values in the correct order in the data.  Or,

2 - use the TMPLOUT option to save the GTL template, and then in the DISCRETELEGEND statement, add SORTORDER= ASCENDINGFORMATTED | DESCENDINGFORMATTED.    Welcome to GTL. 🙂

SB250
Calcite | Level 5

I'm not sure what you mean by the first option. I'm only referring to the order of the subgroup bars and the legend. The graph shows 0 on top, then 1 and 2. But the legend shows 2,1,0.

I've never used GTL. I guess I will  probably just use proc gchart and have GTL on my list of things to learn Smiley Happy

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

What Sanjay was saying in the first item was that the order of the groups in the legend is determined by the order of the group values as they occur in the data. Therefore. if you use PROC SORT to sort your data by the group variable first, you should get the legend in the 0-2 order. If this is not the case, please let us know.

SB250
Calcite | Level 5

My data is sorted in ascending order for the subgroup variable (var1) 0,1,2. It is strange.

If I remove the GROUPDISPLAY=CLUSTER option, then I get the following chart. The legend is in the "correct" order.

SGPlot2.png

If I plot it as a vertical bar chart, the legend is also in the "correct" order.

SGPlot.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation