Data visualization with SAS programming

KM plot. use vertical line as symbol

Contributor

KM plot. use vertical line as symbol

as is traditional in a KM plot (step plot) the symbol for a censored value is a ¦ (vertical line). every example Ive seen in GTL uses a symbol of plus as there doesnt seem to be an appropriate symbol and unlike old versions I cant use a capital i. My example below uses a + too and it doesnt look quite right.

stepplot x=_x y=_surv / group=signvar lineattrs=(pattern=solid) name='s';

scatterplot x=_x y=_cens / markerattrs=(symbol=plus) GROUP=signvar  ;

SGRender12.png

SAS Super FREQ

Re: KM plot. use vertical line as symbol

You have two option.  With SAS 9.4M1, you can use any character from a font as a symbol using the SYMBOLCHAR statement.  With Unicode fonts, your choices are huge.  Pre SAS 9.4M1, you can use the SCATTERPLOT with MARKERCHARACTER option to draw the vertical bar "|" at each location.

Respected Advisor

Sanjay,

Thank you for coming and the autograph. Great talk in BUG. Hope you had a pleasant trip!

Haikuo

SAS Super FREQ

It was my pleasure meeting all the BUGS attendees. 

Contributor

Hi Sanjay

Im using 9.3 and using the scatterplot/markerchar. however it doesnt give me the option to use a vertical bar "|", only the ones in the standard ones.

unless Im doing something wrong with my scatter?

scatterplot x=_x y=_cens / markerattrs=(symbol=plus) GROUP=signvar  ;

Thanks

Adie

Contributor

after all this...my boss has changed his mind and the "plus" is now acceptable!

Thanks anyway!

SAS Super FREQ

OK.  But if you still need to do something similar later, here is what you do.  First, add a new column (censor) to your data and populate it with the character(s) you want to display in the graph.. In this case, put a "|" where ever you want the display the censor observation.  Then use the scatterplot with same X and Y variables and the option markercharacter=censor.  Keep the length of this variable (or format) as small as possible to avoid any leading blanks.

Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation