BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kingCobra
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi folks,

I have an issue with the GROUP= options in SGPLOT.

So basically I'm doing line plot for some lab tests - plotting median, minimum, maximum - using 3 plot (series) statement. I have 2 treatment group (A, B). Some tests have been done for both treatment, some are done only for either of them. Now for those tests which are done for both treatments, the graph looks fine (first graph in the attachment). But for those which are done for either treatment the data colors are not getting assigned correctly. In 2nd graph in attachment, treatment A should get black as in the x-axis table beneath the plot.

Instead the median line is getting blue but the minimum and maximum are getting black. Attached is my code. 

%do i=1 %to &tests.;

proc sgplot data= lb4(where=(param="&&par&i")) noautolegend noborder;
  styleattrs datacolors=(black blue) datacontrastcolors=(black blue);
  series x=avisit1 y=max1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) nomissinggroup;
  series x=avisit1 y=median1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=solid) name='c' nomissinggroup;
  series x=avisit1 y=min1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) nomissinggroup;
  yaxis type=log logbase=10 /*logstyle=logexponent*/ logvtype=expanded max=1000 label="&&unit&i";
  xaxis type=linear values=(0 to 6 by 1) label='Months since infusion';
  xaxistable count / class=trt labelattrs=(size=8) colorgroup=trt pad=(top=1cm) location=outside valueattrs=(size=8)
                     label="Number of(*ESC*){unicode '000a'x}patients:";
  keylegend 'c' / location=inside position=bottomright ;
run;

ods startpage=yes;

%end;

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there anything wrong in the GROUP= option or STYLEATTRS statement?

Any help is appreciated.

I'm using SAS9.4 (M5) in Windows 64 bit.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

The best way to guarantee attribute assignment is through an attributes map.This should work for you:

data attrmap;
retain id "trtid";
length linecolor $ 5;
input value $ linecolor $;
cards;
A blue
B black
;
run;

%do i=1 %to &tests.;

proc sgplot data= lb4(where=(param="&&par&i")) noautolegend noborder dattrmap=attrmap;
  series x=avisit1 y=max1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) nomissinggroup attrid=trtid;
  series x=avisit1 y=median1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=solid) name='c' nomissinggroup attrid=trtid;
  series x=avisit1 y=min1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) nomissinggroup attrid=trtid;
  yaxis type=log logbase=10 /*logstyle=logexponent*/ logvtype=expanded max=1000 label="&&unit&i";
  xaxistable count / class=trt labelattrs=(size=8) colorgroup=trt pad=(top=1cm) location=outside valueattrs=(size=8)
run;

ods startpage=yes;

%end;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

I believe StyleAttrs rotates the styles, but if a value is missing the next value would get the colour so then the colours are out of whack. Is that what you're seeing?

If that's the case then try using an attribute map instead.

WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

https://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/?s=Discrete+attribute+map

Typically, when you want explicit control over the mapping between groups and attributes, use a discrete attribute map.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

The best way to guarantee attribute assignment is through an attributes map.This should work for you:

data attrmap;
retain id "trtid";
length linecolor $ 5;
input value $ linecolor $;
cards;
A blue
B black
;
run;

%do i=1 %to &tests.;

proc sgplot data= lb4(where=(param="&&par&i")) noautolegend noborder dattrmap=attrmap;
  series x=avisit1 y=max1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) nomissinggroup attrid=trtid;
  series x=avisit1 y=median1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=solid) name='c' nomissinggroup attrid=trtid;
  series x=avisit1 y=min1 / group=trt grouporder=reversedata lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) nomissinggroup attrid=trtid;
run;

ods startpage=yes;

%end;
kingCobra
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks DanH_sas.

I had never used attribute map but it seems a good solution. My question now, does attribute map overrides a style element that I have defined through proc template? I have defined style element at project level and now when I tried to use attribute map as you explained, it seems the style element is taking priority over attribute map. 

Do you know how to overcome this?

Many thanks.

kingCobra
Obsidian | Level 7

Btw, I can have a workaround in my code to overcome this problem. Just curious to know if that is possible through data attribute map.

Many thanks.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Any attributes that are needed by the plot are first pulled from the attributes map. If the needed attribute is not defined in the map, it is pulled from the style. In your example, I defined only the colors, because you have the line pattern and thickness defined as attributes in each plot. In general, the attributes from the attribute map win over the style attributes. Take a look at my paper from last year for a more in-depth discussion of how these pieces interact.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings17/SAS0675-2017.pdf

Hope this helps!

Dan

kingCobra
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Dan. I just found out why style elements defined in proc template were taking precedence over discrete attribute map earlier. It was my mistake. That is corrected now.

I've used ATTRID= options in XAXISTABLE statement in the same PROC SGPLOT. But it is not taking effect there. I believe its a valid option. Is anything wrong there?

proc sgplot data=lb4 (where=(param="&&par&i")) noautolegend noborder dattrmap=attrmap;

series x=avisit1 y=max1 / group=trt01p  lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) attrid=trtid nomissinggroup;
  series x=avisit1 y=median1 / group=trt01p  lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=solid) name='c' attrid=trtid nomissinggroup;
  series x=avisit1 y=min1 / group=trt01p  lineattrs=(thickness=2 pattern=shortdash) attrid=trtid nomissinggroup;
  xaxistable count / class=trt01p labelattrs=(size=8) pad=(top=1cm) location=outside valueattrs=(size=8)
                     label="Number of(*ESC*){unicode '000a'x}patients:" attrid=trtid nomissingclass;
run;

Thanks everyone for the helpful guidance.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

On the XAXISTABLE, also add COLORGROUP=trt01p. The CLASS breaks up the table based on classification, but does not affect the visual attributes. COLORGROUP will give you the color change you want.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation