BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ShaneRosanbalm
Obsidian | Level 7

I am hoping to create something similar to the Parallel Coordinates Plot from the Data Viz Catalogue (http://www.datavizcatalogue.com/methods/parallel_coordinates.html). The best solution I've found so far is from Prashant Hebbar's SGF 2012 paper (https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/267-2012.pdf) in which he converts each y variable to a percent and then uses a combination of vector, refline, and scatter statements to draw the multiple axes over the top of the series plot. While it works, this approach seems a little bit tedious. Is anybody aware of a more straightforward solution? Or, is this perhaps as simple as it gets?

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you are asking whether there is now a built-in statement for parallel coordinate plots, the answer is no. 

However, there is a much easier way to standardize all numeric variables into [0,1]. You can use PROC STDIZE to transform all variables in a single call:

proc stdize data=sashelp.cars(drop=_CHARACTER_) method=range out=cars;
run;

/* view max/min for the transformed data */
proc means data=cars;
run;
ShaneRosanbalm
Obsidian | Level 7
PROC STDIZE does tidy things up a bit. Thanks for the suggestion. That said, I will probably poke around a bit and see if I can't find a way to trick SGPLOT (or SGPANEL or GTL) into producing a slightly cleaner looking plot.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation