BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Abud
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all, I've been trying to make a graph using PROC UNIVARIATE, however I couldn't understand why is not possible  show de first, second and the third standart desviation as the image below:

Image.bmp

How can I show the S.D like the image above, using proc UNIVARIATE ?

tk's in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BuckyRansdell
SAS Employee

Starting with SAS 9.3m2, PROC UNIVARIATE enables you to place reference lines at the values of selected statistics, including multiples of the sample standard deviation.  Here is some code and output.  I have specified a list of bin midpoints so all the reference lines are displayed.  (Axis ranges are not extended automatically to include reference lines.)

data foo;
   do i = 1 to 100;
      x = 10 + rannor(123);
      output;
   end;
run;

proc univariate data=foo noprint;
   histogram x /
      normal(noprint)
      statref= -3std -2std -1std mean 1std 2std 3std
      statreflabel= "-3 S.D" "-2 S.D" "-1 S.D" "" "1 S.D" "2 S.D" "3 S.D"
      midpoints= 7 to 13 by 1
      nocurvelegend;
run;

Histogram5.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

This is a custom graph, that you can make with SAS 9.3.  Use PROC MEANS to get all the statistics you need and merge with original data used for histogram. 

You can use SGPLOT procedure to create the histogram, and use REFLINE statement to overlay the lines for the SD values.  then, you can annotate the rest of the formation.

Abud
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sanjay, could you send me a example ?

Doesn't SAS have a function to know the "z-scores" ?

BuckyRansdell
SAS Employee

Starting with SAS 9.3m2, PROC UNIVARIATE enables you to place reference lines at the values of selected statistics, including multiples of the sample standard deviation.  Here is some code and output.  I have specified a list of bin midpoints so all the reference lines are displayed.  (Axis ranges are not extended automatically to include reference lines.)

data foo;
   do i = 1 to 100;
      x = 10 + rannor(123);
      output;
   end;
run;

proc univariate data=foo noprint;
   histogram x /
      normal(noprint)
      statref= -3std -2std -1std mean 1std 2std 3std
      statreflabel= "-3 S.D" "-2 S.D" "-1 S.D" "" "1 S.D" "2 S.D" "3 S.D"
      midpoints= 7 to 13 by 1
      nocurvelegend;
run;

Histogram5.png

Abud
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Bucky, first of all thank's for the tip, it was exactly what I'm trying to do, however, my SAS is 9.2.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation