BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

I'd like to create histograms for about 50 continuous variables with bins based on the <25th percentile, 25th-50th percentile, 50th-75th percentile, and > 75th percentile. Is there a way to do this with proc univariate?

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The pre-programmed histograms in SAS don't allow you to set bin limits at 25 percentile, 50 percentile, 75 percentile and so on. With some programming I think you could make that happen.

Of course, a box plot sounds exactly like what you are talking about, it shows 25 percentile, 50 percentile, 75 percentile and other statistics, and allows you to compare the "distributions" (as displayed by the boxplot) of 50 variables visually.

--
Paige Miller
simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

That's what I thought...I started programming these IQRs for some frequency distributions along with the histograms and hoped there was an easier way!

Thanks!

simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

Meant to say along with the box plots

ballardw
Super User

You might find this example helpful:  http://support.sas.com/kb/35/171.html

Go to the Results Tab to see the graph, the Full code has the Proc Template code and uses a standard SAS data set to display.

It has an extra element of a small fringe plot to provide a little more detail of distribution that the bare histogram provides.

Reeza
Super User

In a histogram the bins based on percentiles would produce a flat line, wouldn’t it? 

Perhaps you mean something different? 

@simkinm2 wrote:

I'd like to create histograms for about 50 continuous variables with bins based on the <25th percentile, 25th-50th percentile, 50th-75th percentile, and > 75th percentile. Is there a way to do this with proc univariate?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation