BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChuckK
Calcite | Level 5
Hello Oh SGreat Ones! 🙂

Are there any future plans for being able to specify a numeric variable in the PANELBY statement without having it use the individual values? The PROC would create groups out of intervals of the variable's values, similar maybe to Cleveland's slicing in "Visualizing Data".

Just curious.
5 REPLIES 5
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Cleveland's approach to slicing interval data used his "equal interval" algorithm, which attempted to make the number of data points the same in each cell. The result was that the interval ranges could change per cell. In addition, he had a parameter that would allow you to specify overlap in the intervals. How much of this functionality do you need for your purposes?

As a side note, you could possible create this effect with the current version of SGPANEL by applying the algorithm to your data to determine the intervals and create a user-defined format for the interval ranges. SGPANEL will use the format to bucket your class data correctly for each cell.

Thanks!
Dan
ChuckK
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. Your side note is actually how I do it. I've been working on a macro of the algorithm. I was going to present it and a couple of other concepts (banking and cell ordering) at SGF, but I'm over my limit. 😞

The question comes up fairly often. I like the approach Cleveland took, though there could be better ones. I haven't looked in a while. Both the "equal-count" and the overlap make good sense for understanding the change in that dimension.

I wanted to see if there was direction already and, if there was, mention it in the paper I am presenting. (basic SGPANEL)

Thanks again.
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ
This is good input for us. You may want to give Tech Support a call and add this as a user suggestion.

Thanks!
Dan
ChuckK
Calcite | Level 5
I figured that Text Miner would be used to sift these forums for just that sort of thing. 🙂

As I prepare, I'm sure I'll have other questions of clarification and maybe some other suggestions. I'll record the suggestions and call at once.

Chuck
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ
BTW, I'll be at SGF this year, so I'll keep an eye out for your paper 🙂

Thanks!
Dan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation