BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tanyuanbin
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

When Gchart produce picture by default ascending order, the output is nice as below:

Samples_chart_esc.png

when I changed the order by desending way with ORDER = definition, for example, ORDER=(2700 to 2580 by -4  ) it works well as such:

Samples_chart_desc.png

However, if we changed the value of step from 4 to 3, as here  ORDER=(2700 to 2580 by -3  ), the output is changed as such:

Samples_chart_desc_by3.png

in another word, the Shape of output looks quite different from the original ascending way, so was the point view of statictical value, i.e. AMOUNT.

So, the question is how to generate Gchart by Descending Order,  and the stepping of midpoint should be defined automatically and same like it does by default Ascending way? or how should I specify and define a flexible data set(as here for AXIS) to meet the descending displaying requirement, like it defines and diaplays by Ascending order.

or, does any one have knowledge or document about the internal definition details of default ascending processing?

It would be very much appreciated if anyone can help! Thank you in advance for your time!

Best Regards,

Yuanbin

====THE CODE and Data AS BELOW

data Sample2;
      set Interest.Sample2;
run;
proc datasets lib=work nolist;
       modify Sample2;
       Label Trans_Amount='Amount' Current_Price='Current Price' ;
quit;

ods listing;
filename grafout "C:\Temp\j_BS_2D.gif";

goptions reset=all
          device=gif
          gsfname=grafout
          gsfmode=replace;

GOPTIONS xpixels=400 ypixels=300;

GOPTIONS COLORS = (BLUE/*CX0F3E93 */, BLUE, CYAN, CXD2477C, Green, Red/*CX165627 */);

Legend1
     FRAME
     POSITION = (BOTTOM CENTER OUTSIDE);

Axis1
     STYLE=1
     WIDTH=1
/*  ORDER=(2580  to 2700 by 4) */
  ORDER=(2700 to 2580 by -3  )

LABEL=( "Current Price" )

;
Axis2
     STYLE=1
     WIDTH=1
     MINOR=
     (NUMBER=1
     )
;
TITLE;

TITLE1 h=2 "IF1304 Price Distribution Analysis" ;

FOOTNOTE;

PROC GCHART DATA=Sample2 gout=work.gseg;
     HBAR     Current_Price
  /  SUMVAR=Trans_Amount
     CLIPREF
/*       DESCENDING   */

FRAME  SUM /* NOSTATS */
     TYPE=SUM

LEGEND=LEGEND1
     COUTLINE=BLACK
     MAXIS=AXIS1
     RAXIS=AXIS2
     LREF=34
     CREF=BLUE
     AUTOREF
  CTEXT=BLACK 
  CAXIS=BLACK
;

RUN; QUIT;

TITLE; FOOTNOTE;
GOPTIONS RESET=ALL;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hey Yuanbin,

I believe what is happening here is that your ORDER option is excluding your data. Even when you use "by 4", you could be loosing data, unless the bins happen to fall in "by 4" increments. When you use "by 3", the exclusion pattern becomes different. In general, it is not good to use the ORDER option for categorical axes. You should use the MIDPOINTS option on the HBAR statement to set the bins, e.g. midpoints=(2700 to 2580 by -3).

Hope this helps!

Dan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

When you use a 'by' value in the bar chart's midpoint axis, you are not only controlling the order, but also controlling the grouping (binning) of data each bar is comprised of.

I typically pre-summarize my bar chart data before I run gchart, and I either have a character midpoint variable, or I use the 'discrete' option (so that no grouping (binning) is done on the bars).

Then, if I want to control the orders of the bars in a way that Gchart does not provide, I sort my summarized data set as desired, assign a numeric variable to the data order (such as 'bar_order=_n_'), and then use that variable (bar_order) as my midpoint variable.  And I use a user-defined format so that the numeric variable (bar_order) will print in the graph as a text value that I want.

tanyuanbin
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Robert and Dan,

I just came back and was looking for your advice, Robert's solution is a detailed one, I believed it can shoot the trouble in-deepth , while I applied for the advice from Dan first, it does work also!  I thank you all so much for the great help!

Thank you all for your time again!

Sincerely,

Yuanbin

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hey Yuanbin,

I believe what is happening here is that your ORDER option is excluding your data. Even when you use "by 4", you could be loosing data, unless the bins happen to fall in "by 4" increments. When you use "by 3", the exclusion pattern becomes different. In general, it is not good to use the ORDER option for categorical axes. You should use the MIDPOINTS option on the HBAR statement to set the bins, e.g. midpoints=(2700 to 2580 by -3).

Hope this helps!

Dan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation