BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi,

I'm using 9.3 GTL to make a box plot that does NOT display outliers.  Is there a way to have the axis scaling algorithm also ignore outliers?  I want to include outliers in calculation of the mean and percentiles, I just don't want to display them, and I don't want outliers to cause an extremely long axis.

The docs note that the DISPLAY option I used below does not impact the axis at all.  Only approaches I've come up with would be to compute the summary statistics myself and then use BOXPLOTPARM,  or to come up with my own algorithm for scaling the y-axis.

Sample code showing y-axis scaled including one outlier, smushing the boxes:

ods path (prepend) work.mytpl;

proc template;
  define statgraph MyBoxPlot;
    begingraph;
      layout overlay;
        boxplot x=country y=actual /
          display=(caps fill mean median /*outliers*/)
        ;
      endlayout;    
endgraph; end; run; data prdsale; set sashelp.prdsale; if _n_=1 then actual=3000; run; proc sgrender data=prdsale template="MyBoxPlot"; run;

Thanks,

--Q. 

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Here is one way, though it will need a bit of coding.  

Run SGPLOT to create the regular box plot of your data with categories.  User ODS OUTPUT SGPLOT=box; statement to get the box plot data in the output data set "Box".  This data is in the form suitable to draw the box plot and has a variable called "box_mpg_city_x_origin__st" that is the statistic and "box_mpg_city_x_origin___y" that is the Y value of the statistic.  MIN and MAX provide the values for the whiskers.

Extract this data, and place the global min and max values in macro variables.  Then rerun the same SGPLOT again, and now specify the NOOUTLIERS option and set YAXIS MIN=&min and MAX=&Max.

ods output sgplot=box(rename=(box_mpg_city_x_origin__st=stat box_mpg_city_x_origin___y=value));
ods graphics / reset width=6in height=4in imagename='Box_With_Outliers';
proc sgplot data=sashelp.cars;
vbox mpg_city / category=origin;
run;

data box2;
  retain min 1e6 max -1e6;
  keep value stat;
  set box (where=(stat in ('MIN', 'MAX'))) end=last;
  if stat = 'MIN' then min=min(min, value);
  if stat = 'MAX' then max=max(max, value);
  if last then do;
    call symput ("MIN", min);
    call symput ("MAX", max);
  end;
run;

ods graphics / reset width=6in height=4in imagename='Box_Without_Outliers';
vbox mpg_city / category=origin nooutliers;
yaxis min=&min max=&max;
run;

I do have some concern with this.  Not being a Statistician, I don't know if this will provide an incorrect presentation to a reader.  At least the Y axis indicates presence of outliers, even if they are suppressed.  Maybe you can just make them more transparent.

Box_With_Outliers.pngBox_Without_Outliers.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
djrisks
Barite | Level 11

Hi Quentin,

Have you tried the outlierattrs option? You could try outlierattrs=(size=0) and see if that gets rid of the outliers. I usually use a similar option to not display markers.

Thanks.

Quentin
Super User

Thanks @djrisks

OUTLIERATTRS(size=0) works to hide the outliers, achieving the same as the DISPLAY option in my posted code.  But the axis is still scaled to include outliers.  The outlier value of 3000 forces the y-axis to go up to 3000, instead of  the desired ~1000.

-Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
djrisks
Barite | Level 11

Oh, I understand now @Quentin

The solution I can think of at the moment is not elegant, it involves calculating the maximum and minimum values of the dataset without the outliers and then setting those minimum and maximum values as dynamic or numeric macro variables, and then using those min and max values in the yaxis options.

Hopefully, there is a simpler solution out there though.

Thanks.

ballardw
Super User

If you know a maximum value you want to set as an upper bound for the box plot you could make that a dynamic parameter of your GTL code

define statgraph MyBoxPlot;

dynamic ymax;
    begingraph;

and use the VIEWMAX = YMAX in a Yaxisopts statement.

proc sgrender data=prdsale template="MyBoxPlot";

ymax=1000;
run;

Quentin
Super User

Thanks @ballardw.  The bummer is I don't know the maximum value in advance.  (Writing a box plot stored process that will be used for various stuff).  So if I need to monkey with viewmax or the axis, I would need to compute the upper/lower whisker for each group, and then find the max/min whisker in the chart, and set viewmax/viewmin after that.  Which is doable, but was hoping there would be something automagical. 

I haven't used GPLOT in years, but my memory is you had to do something extra to ask for outliers to be displayed (which I didn't like), but if you didn't ask for outliers, the axis was scaled to fit the box-and-whiskers (whcih I did like).

djrisks
Barite | Level 11

You may have to go down the route of calculating the values yourself. If you did decide to do that, then once you've found the min/max whisker in the chart, you can set those up as macro variables and then base viewmin and viewmax on those values. That way the code will be reusable.

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Here is one way, though it will need a bit of coding.  

Run SGPLOT to create the regular box plot of your data with categories.  User ODS OUTPUT SGPLOT=box; statement to get the box plot data in the output data set "Box".  This data is in the form suitable to draw the box plot and has a variable called "box_mpg_city_x_origin__st" that is the statistic and "box_mpg_city_x_origin___y" that is the Y value of the statistic.  MIN and MAX provide the values for the whiskers.

Extract this data, and place the global min and max values in macro variables.  Then rerun the same SGPLOT again, and now specify the NOOUTLIERS option and set YAXIS MIN=&min and MAX=&Max.

ods output sgplot=box(rename=(box_mpg_city_x_origin__st=stat box_mpg_city_x_origin___y=value));
ods graphics / reset width=6in height=4in imagename='Box_With_Outliers';
vbox mpg_city / category=origin;
run;

data box2;
  retain min 1e6 max -1e6;
  keep value stat;
  set box (where=(stat in ('MIN', 'MAX'))) end=last;
  if stat = 'MIN' then min=min(min, value);
  if stat = 'MAX' then max=max(max, value);
  if last then do;
    call symput ("MIN", min);
    call symput ("MAX", max);
  end;
run;

ods graphics / reset width=6in height=4in imagename='Box_Without_Outliers';
vbox mpg_city / category=origin nooutliers;
yaxis min=&min max=&max;
run;

I do have some concern with this.  Not being a Statistician, I don't know if this will provide an incorrect presentation to a reader.  At least the Y axis indicates presence of outliers, even if they are suppressed.  Maybe you can just make them more transparent.

Box_With_Outliers.pngBox_Without_Outliers.png
Quentin
Super User

Thanks @Jay54, that's a helpful approach. Have to admit, I had never thought to use ODS OUTPUT with SGPLOT. Good to know that it makes data tables available. I can imagine quite a few settings that will come in handy.

That said, my next question (tomorrow or next week), will be about trying to find ways to make SGRENDER run more quickly when generating a boxplot with thousands of data points behind it. As I have it coded currently, the time costs of running an extra SGPLOT step are probably too high (in stored process setting).

The other option I'm considering is to just go ahead and convert to BOXPLOTPARM, using something like %BoxPlotParm (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grstatgraph/65377/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p14r3dprwc36p7... I think if I do that, I could then choose to include/exclude outliers in the data, and then use the default axes. And I think BoxPlotParm might run faster than BOXPLOT, since it is starting with a much-smaller precalculated dataset.

That said, I would vote for changing this in the future if feasible. If I'm making a chart that does not display outliers, I don't see a benefit to including non-displayed outlier values in the axis scaling algorithm.

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

One variation of the solution is suggested by Prashant and removes the OUTLIER stat values from the data after the first pass.  Then, use this modified data directly using BoxPlotParm.  However, a VBOXPARM is not available in SGPLOT, you you would have to use the GTL version with BoxPlotParm in the second pass.  That could address your concern about the performance for large data.  You might as well use the GTL program for the first pass too.

I just tried this method.  Make sure to remove all observations with STAT of OUTLIER, FAROUTLIER, DATAMIN, DATAMAX and blank (missing).

We will certainly entertain the possibility of adding an option to the box plot to retain the data extents of only the items being displayed. This should be relatively simple, and will avoid a second pass.  If this is of interest to you, you could pass this on to Tech Support as a request for new functionality.

ketpt1
Calcite | Level 5

Although it is 18 months after the original question, I would like this feature added to the options for the vbox statement in SGPLOT. I do appreciate the workaround, though.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation