BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Willempie
Calcite | Level 5
Greetings.

I'm trying to generate a series of graphs with GCHART into a graphics-catalog and I want to do this this in batch. Generating these graphs online poses no problems and I use code that I copied from the manual. This works:

GOPTIONS RESET=ALL GUNIT=PCT BORDER CBACK=WHITE
COLORS=(BLACK RED GREEN BLUE) FTITLE=SWISSB
FTEXT=SWISS HTITLE=6 HTEXT=4;

TITLE1 'Daily Recall Physical Mounts';
PROC GCHART DATA=PDB.MNTPHRC GOUT=PDB.VEHGRAPH;
VBAR DAY / SUMVAR=MOUNTS
OUTSIDE=SUM
WIDTH=9
SPACE=1
MIDPOINTS=1 TO 31 BY 1
;

However, when I try to run this in batch (as follows):

GOPTIONS RESET=ALL GUNIT=PCT BORDER CBACK=WHITE
COLORS=(BLACK RED GREEN BLUE) FTITLE=SWISSB
FTEXT=SWISS HTITLE=6 HTEXT=4 NODISPLAY;

TITLE1 'DAILY RECALL PHYSICAL MOUNTS';
PROC GCHART DATA=PDB.MNTPHRC GOUT=PDB.VEHGRAPH;
VBAR DAY / SUMVAR=MOUNTS
OUTSIDE=SUM
WIDTH=9
SPACE=1
MIDPOINTS=1 TO 31 BY 1
DES='DAILY RECALL PHYSICAL MOUNTS'
NAME='DRPM04'
;

I keep running into a "ERROR: DEVICE INITIALIZATION FAILED.". I must be overlooking something, but what?
10 REPLIES 10
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14
This is a little out of my area of expertise, but perhaps when you're running the batch job, you also still have your interactive/DMS SAS job running, and perhaps the DMS session has the graphics-catalog locked, such that the batch job can't write to it?

Is there anything else in the SAS log?
Willempie
Calcite | Level 5
No. I do allocate the database with the catalog as DISP=OLD and when I run my batchjob, there is no interactive/DMS-session active.

As for any extra messages in the SAS log, nothing. Just the usual "The SAS System stopped processing this step etc. etc. etc.", the usual end-statistics and then it ends.
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14
Hmm...

Ok - I'm not sure that it makes a difference, but what version of SAS are you using (v9.1.3, v9.2, other?), and what Operating System are you running your SAS on?
Willempie
Calcite | Level 5
We're running SAS 9.1.3 SP 4 under zOS 1.10.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
And, for your batch job, your DEVICE= OPTIONS/GOPTIONS setting is set to? Verify in your batch job with PROC OPTIONS OPTION=DEVICE; RUN;

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic / post:

batch chart device z/os site:sas.com
Willempie
Calcite | Level 5
A PROC OPTIONS OPTION=DEVICE; gets me the following output: DEVICE= Graphics device driver.

I guess this means that we never set a default graphics device and that I have to specify one when I run my job.

Or do I? After all, I don't want to display anything, that's for later. For now I just want to store graphics in a catalog and I always assumed that SAS would do this in a device-independent form. So who cares about the device?
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14
Does it work if you specify a goptions device= ?
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ
A device is still needed for various pieces of information needed to create the GRSEG in the catalog. You will want to specify a device that most closely matches the way you will view the final output.

Thanks!
Dan
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
No doubt you will get some extra mileage by contacting your SAS z/OS (IBM mainframe) administrator for guidance.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Willempie
Calcite | Level 5
Doesn't sound unreasonable. If I don't know exactly which outputdevice I will be using and want to keep all (or as many as possible) my options open, should I go for something like a SASEMF-driver or SASMETA?

Their names at least suggest that their output will be more appropriate for various kinds of outputdevices than with any of the other drivers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation