BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

The horizontal axis is populated by categorical variable of the different buildings (i.e.b1, b2). I want the height of the bars to be the total performance measure (a continuous variable) of the buildings and then within each of these bars is the different measures that make up the total performance measure. For instance, if the height of the bar is 28 (the total), I want different demarcations for the 3 performance measures that make up that 28: speed: 10 (blue), accuracy 8 (green),  responsiveness 10 (yellow). So each building would have stacked bars with various heights and 3 different variables that make up that bar and color coded. The legend would show that blue = speed, accuracy= green and responsiveness=yellow.

My dataset looks like this:

Building      Speed     Accuracy     Responsiveness     Total

B1               10                8               10                         28

B2                8                 7               9                           24

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

I think you'd have to hard-code an axis statement in Gchart.  There's a 'missing' option for the bar midpoints, but I don't think there's one for the response variable.

data building;

input Building  Value;

datalines;

1   22

2    0

3   44

4   .

5   .

6   0

;

run;

axis1 order=(1 to 6 by 1);

proc gchart data=building;

vbar Building / discrete type=sum sumvar=value

maxis=axis1;

run;

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Reeza
Super User

Look at vbarparm and hbarparm.

Or see Rob Allisons graph:

http://robslink.com/SAS/democd7/aaaindex.htm

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Here are the basics...

data foo;

input building $ 1-2 speed accuracy responsiveness;

datalines;

B1               10                8               10                       

B2                8                 7               9                         

;

run;

proc transpose data=foo out=foo (rename=(_name_=measure col1=value));

by building;

run;

proc gchart data=foo;

label measure='Measure';

vbar building / type=sum sumvar=value subgroup=measure;

run;

foo.png

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you. However, when I run this code, I get a chart with funky Building ID midpoints. I should have mentioned that the building variable is numeric, but I want to use it like a character. There is a weird summing that occurs. How do I make sure Building ID shows up as 1 and not 30 for instance?

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

By default, gchart takes numeric bar values and splits them into ranges to make a histogram.

If you want each numeric bar value to be treated as a discrete value (like a character), you can specify the 'discrete' option.

vbar building / discrete type=sum sumvar=value subgroup=measure;

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

If I use the discrete option then the buildings that are missing data will not show up on the x axis. Can I convert the building ID to numeric in the transpose procedure?

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

It depends... By 'missing' do you mean they're not in the data at all, or the building number is a sas-missing, or that the building number is there but with sas-missing response values, or other?  I'd have to see some data to steer you in the right direction.  You can convert a numeric to a character either before or after the transpose (again - it depends...)

There's a "missing" option in gchart, you can specify all the desired bar values in an axis statement, etc.

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

Ah thank you.  The missing option works. Many thanks!

If it is not uncouth, I have an additional question. If I want to use proc sgplot using this data and I have an additional subgroup, what is the subgroup equivalent in sgplot?

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

For the multi-class situation, use SGPANEL. For example,

proc sgpanel data=sashelp.prdsale;

panelby year / onepanel novarname noborder layout=columnlattice;

vbar product / response=actual group=division;

run;

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

I want to plot the following data on a bar chart, where building ID is on the x-axis and value is the height of the bar. If the value is 0 or .  I want the building id to show up on the x axis. I am using the missing option, but the building ids where value = . do not show up. There is a difference between having a value of 0 and a value that is missing.

building      value

1                    22

2                    0

3                  44

4                   .

5                    .

6                     0

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

This graph created using SAS 9.3, but it works fine on SAS 9.2 (remove the DATASKIN option).

Building.png

data building;
  input Building  Value;
  datalines;
1   22
2    0
3   44
4   .
5   .
6   0
;
run;

ods html close;

ods graphics / reset width=5in height=3in imagename='Building';
title 'Value by Building';
proc sgplot data=building;
  vbar building / response=value missing nostatlabel dataskin=gloss;
  run;

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

Sanjay, is there a gchart equivalent?

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

I think you'd have to hard-code an axis statement in Gchart.  There's a 'missing' option for the bar midpoints, but I don't think there's one for the response variable.

data building;

input Building  Value;

datalines;

1   22

2    0

3   44

4   .

5   .

6   0

;

run;

axis1 order=(1 to 6 by 1);

proc gchart data=building;

vbar Building / discrete type=sum sumvar=value

maxis=axis1;

run;

sarahsasuser
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, this is what I ultimately ended up doing. Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation