BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
xian
Calcite | Level 5

I was trying proc sgplot to generate a box plot. It was aborted due to memory issue. The data set has about 1.7 million records, but there's only 16 distinct values for the x-axis. There are also some other procedures in SAS that can do box plot. I was wondering which procedure can handle big data sets better. I would like to add a limit that if the number of rows exceeds the limit it will not do the box plot. But I'm not sure how to calculate the limit based on the memory I have.

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

You should show the code used in case you specified something that might be an issue. If you requested plots for multiple variables that might cause some issue.

I just generated a random data set with 1.7 million records and with one analysis variable and 16 x values proc boxplot completed the graph in under 1 second. So the file size is unlikely to be the main issue.

xian
Calcite | Level 5

The code is super simple:

proc sgplot data = t2ds;

vbox T2 / category = fis_week;

refline LCL;

refline UCL;

refline CTL;

format fis_week $4.;

run;

xian
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks ballardw for pointing me to the right direction. I think it's the format statement that's causing the problem. After I removed the format. It completed in seconds.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation